Manage episode 214974367 series 2342370
This week on the Green Rush Podcast, Anne, Lewis, and Phil sit down with Danny Moses, Wall Street insider and investor in the cannabis industry. If you don’t know Danny, you should. He was at the center of the financial meltdown in 2007/08 and his role in the crisis was recaptured in the famous film, “The Big Short”. As a trader working for Steve Eisman, Danny was a “short” meaning he bet against the housing market and made a ton of money. He’s one of the smartest guys from Wall Street and over the past few years he’s been going “long” on the cannabis sector. Danny speaks to his experience in the 2008 financial crisis, similarities he sees between the financial collapse and the cannabis industry, why he believes investing in cannabis is smart, and the social issues that continue to plague the cannabis industry.
3 Main Takeaways:
- There’s great risk and reward in cannabis industry
- Do your homework when investing in cannabis
- There are a wide range of health/medicinal uses to cannabis
Danny Moses has extensive experience with financial markets having worked on Wall Street since 1991 and holding a variety of positions including municipal bond analyst, institutional sell-side broker, trader, and hedge fund manager. The book and later movie “The Big Short” features the character of Danny Moses and a few others who were able to successfully navigate the volatility of the financial markets during the formation of the housing bubble in 2004.
Links to guest’s social media:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/dmoses34
Links and Mentions:
- Bail The Street podcast: https://www.bailstreet.com/
- Danny at the Brookings Institute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y2aEJShnUw
- The Big Short Deleted Scene: https://metro.co.uk/video/the-big-short-deleted-scene-1291428/?ito=vjs-link
- Investopedia Terms:
- Credit Default Swaps:
- Collateralized Debt Obligation:
- Collateralized Mortgage Obligation:
- Volcker Rule:
- Dodd-Frank Bill:
This episode was hosted by Anne Donohoe, Lewis Goldberg, and Phil Carlson of KCSA Strategic Communications
Special thanks to Nick Opich, our Producer, and our Program Director Shea Gunther at Marijuana Today
Twitter / Instagram: @KCSA_Cannabis
86 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 46 mins duration .