Manage episode 263336531 series 1021420
Sylvia Baedorf Kassis MPH, CYT focuses on many aspects of clinical research. Her work includes understanding the experience of research participants and incorporating their insights into study processes. Among her many accomplishments, Sylvia and her team created a health literacy website especially for clinical research stakeholders. This is part of a larger initiative from the Multi-Regional Clinical Trials (MRCT) Center of Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard.
In this podcast, Sylvia Baedorf Kassis talks with Helen Osborne about:
- Clinical research and health literacy. Why it is important to consider each of those topics separately as well as look at them together.
- Challenges faced when communicating with the public or patients about clinical research studies. These challenges include explaining unfamiliar concepts, defining complex terms, and communicating in a range of formats.
- Tips and recommendations for all listeners who communicate in a variety of ways.
More ways to learn:
- Multi-Regional Clinical Trials (MRCT) Center, https://mrctcenter.org
- Health Literacy in Clinical Research, https://mrctcenter.org/health-literacy/
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Chapter 8 is especially relevant to this podcast. It is about decision aids and shared decision-making.