Manage episode 188293539 series 1042208
Synopsis: This week on “Learn Me Something,” Aaron and Rich delve into scientific research behind the concept of “dark matter.” Humans can perceive empty space around them, but is that space truly empty?
Ordinary, observable matter (like stars and planets) makes up a measly 5% of the universe. The other 95% universe is made up of invisible dark energy (68%) and dark matter (27%). That means there’s 95% of the universe that we don’t know about yet.
Present: Aaron Stewart, Rich Plumb
- Definition of “Vacuum”
- 20 Things You Didn’t Know About… Nothing
- ESA publication
- NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day
- Quantum Foam, Virtual Particles and Other Curiosities
- Formal Results: Testing the GCP Hypothesis
- The Global Consciousness Project: Meaningful Correlations in Random Data
- Empty space has more energy than everything in the Universe, combined
- Empty Space Isn’t Empty, And Quantum Researchers Now Have Direct Evidence
- Direct sampling of electric-field vacuum fluctuations
Follow your hosts, guests, and the show on Twitter
- @LMSPodcast on Twitter
- Learn Me Something on Facebook
- @HologramRadio for updates on other interesting podcasts
Subscribe to Learn Me Something!
Download: Episode 19: Empty Space
169 episodes available. A new episode about every 3 days averaging 54 mins duration .