Manage episode 256320199 series 2593682
On this episode of Ichimon Japan we ask: What are your Japanese studying tips?Topics Discussed
- How and why Tony and Ryan started studying Japanese
- The structure of Japanese
- Strategies and tips for studying Japanese and any foreign language
- The difficult part about learning Japanese
- Whether Japanese is a complex language
- The usefulness of talking to yourself in Japanese and rehearsing conversations
- Using anime, movies, music, and video games as tools for studying Japanese
- Strategies for sounding more natural in Japanese
- Reading kanji
- The importance of learning things in context
- The importance of doing things you like as a way to practice Japanese
- Why video games can be a good tool for learning Japanese
- The importance of using language as a tool
- The importance of making mistakes
- Using YouTube videos as a tool for learning Japanese
- The importance of figuring out what strategies work best for you
- The importance of daily practice and study
- Practicing writing Japanese
- The benefits of talking to native speakers
- Textbook Japanese vs the casual Japanese found in the real world
- How simple Japanese grammar is
- And more!
If this episode got you motivated to buy some resources for learning Japanese, then please consider using the Amazon affiliate link below.
Here is the first book Tony purchased after taking an interest in the Japanese language. This is an Amazon affiliate link.
- Easy Hiragana: First Steps to Reading and Writing Basic Japanese (Passport Books) (English and Japanese Edition) by Fujihiko Kaneda
For anyone interested in practicing writing in Japanese, one great resource that was mentioned during this episode is the website Lang-8.
Also mentioned during this episode is the app Hello Talk.
If you would like to purchase the Genki textbooks, you can do so via the Amazon affiliate link below.
- Genki 1 2 , Learning Japanese for Beginners 4 Book Bundle Set , An Integrated Course in Elementary Workbook and Textbook With Original Sticky Notes
In case you have not listened to the "intestines" episode of Ichimon Japan that was mentioned during this episode, you can do so by using the link below.
If you're interested in checking out the latest episode of Japan Station, featuring Dr. Richard Samuels, an expert on the history of the Japanese intelligence community and espionage, then please go to the page linked below.
Most episodes feature at least one or two interesting Japanese words or phrases. Here’s some of the ones that came up on this episode. All information is from Jim Breen's WWWJDIC.
- 幼稚園 【ようちえん】 (n) kindergarten
- 遊園地 【ゆうえんち】 (n) amusement park
- 以上 【いじょう】 (n-adv,n-t) (1) (See 余・1) not less than; ... and more; ... and upwards; (2) beyond ... (e.g. one's means); further (e.g. nothing further to say); more than ... (e.g. cannot pay more than that); (3) above-mentioned; foregoing; (4) since ...; seeing that ...; (5) this is all; that is the end; the end
- 火炎瓶 【かえんびん】 (n) Molotov cocktail; petrol bomb; gasoline bomb
Is there something about Japan that confuses you? Is there something about Japanese culture that you would like to learn more about? Is there something in Japanese history that you would like us to explain? We're always looking for new questions about Japan to answer, so if you have one, please send it to email@example.com.Special Thanks
Ichimon Japan cover art: Produced by Erik R.Follow Japankyo on Social Media