Manage episode 233001510 series 2159219
A book sales rep becomes an author and learns first-hand how to get bookstores and associations interested in his book -- and which social media platform was the most effective may surprise you.
- How to get booksellers interested in your book
- How far in advance to begin promotion
- Smart use of social media, especially Instagram and LinkedIn
- How to sell and not sound like a salesperson
- Using social media to create sales opportunities
- If you have a publisher, do you coordinate with them or work on your own?
- Pitching to indie booksellers
- Following up on LinkedIn using groups and DMs
Andy Weiner is a longtime publishing professional. He has worked for Penguin USA, Random House, Chronicle Books, rightscenter.com, and for Abrams Books. He is also the co-publisher of* Close Enough for the Angels* by Paul Madonna, and is the author of the children’s book Down By the River, a book that Jensen Fly Fishing says: “blends family cohesion (mom and grandpa both take time telling stories and helping teach Art to fly fish), subtle contexts of fly fishing, and a gentle message of conservation.”
Andy’s website for his book:
For more information on the book Getting There; A Book of Mentors by Gillian Zoe Segal, mentioned in the podcast, see https://www.indiebound.org/book/9781419715709.
Peter Goodman (host) is publisher of Stone Bridge Press in Berkeley, California. He began his publishing career in Tokyo, Japan, in 1976. A longtime member of IBPA, he has served on the IBPA board and as IBPA board chair.