Manage episode 236409760 series 2394109
If you’ve ever wanted to use cognitive science to get a job do it well and advance your career, then do we have the Bring Your Brain to Work show for you!
Today I’ll be talking with Art Markman, leading cognitive scientist, Professor of Psychology and Marketing at the University of Texas at Austin, and the Executive Direct or the IC2 Institute. Co-host of Two Guys on Your Head, and the author of several brain boosting books including Smart Thinking and his latest, Bring Your Brain to Work.
And that’s just what I want to talk with him about today, about using cognitive science to get a job, do it well, and advance your career!
- What happened when Dr. Markman’s son was applying for a job?
- What’s the importance of challenging our brain’s at work?
- Do we have one brain or three brains?
- What in the world is a jazz brain?
- Do our brains set us up for success in the workplace?
- What’s wrong with “find your passion”?
- What do jobs and blenders have to do with one another?
- What’s wrong with asking students for their major at 18?
- What’s wrong with declaring we know where we want to go?
- What’s the importance of clarifying our values?
- What’s it mean to create our own consideration set?
- What’s wrong with an imagined future?
- What’s the importance of being open to new things?
- What’s wrong with pretending you have all the answers?
- What’s the Lake Wobegon Effect?
- What’s the importance of a mentoring team?
- What’s the importance of learning to act with your “head and your heart”?
- What’s the importance of conscientiousness in the workplace?
- What’s it take for great communication in the workplace?
- What’s wrong with texting at work???
- What do we need to know about meetings (top do’s and don’ts!)
- When do we need to switch jobs, move up, or move on?
- What’s the single most important thing when applying for a job?
- How do we negotiate for a better salary?
- For more info visit: SmartThinkingBook.com
And for free meditations, weekly tips, stories and similar shows visit: www.InspireNationShow.com
And to support the show and get even more great tools, tips, and behind-the-scenes access, visit: www.Patreon.com/InspireNation
1275 episodes available. A new episode about every 0 hours averaging 65 mins duration .