Manage episode 342242090 series 1264716
Sign up for Intelligence Squared Premium here: https://iq2premium.supercast.com/ for ad-free listening, bonus content, early access and much more. See below for details.
Academic and author Samuel Moyn joins us to discusses warfare over the course of the 20th century – from Vietnam to Iraq – and how US policy over that time has shaped the conflicts we see today. Moyn is Professor of Law and History at Yale University. His recent book, Humane: How the United States Abandoned Peace and Reinvented War, analyses how following the Second World War, the establishment of Human rights conventions and international law courts became a push to make the game of war a more ethical one. The reality, of course, is different. From Syria to Ukraine, we see forms of engagement that contradict all guidelines and these breaches make the already brutal theatre of war even more horrific. Joining Samuel in conversation to discuss the book is Carl Miller, Research Director at the Centre for the Analysis of Social Media at the think tank Demos.
We are incredibly grateful for your support. To become an Intelligence Squared Premium subscriber, follow the link: https://iq2premium.supercast.com/
Here’s a reminder of the benefits you’ll receive as a subscriber:
- Ad-free listening, because we know some of you would prefer to listen without interruption
- One early episode per week
- Two bonus episodes per month
- A 25% discount on IQ2+, our exciting streaming service, where you can watch and take part in events live at home and enjoy watching past events on demand and without ads
- A 15% discount and priority access to live, in-person events in London, so you won’t miss out on tickets
- Our premium monthly newsletter
- Intelligence Squared Merch
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices