Manage episode 228582558 series 179436
While some may play the Alphabet Game on a road trip, Casey and Bonnie get into a deep conversation on two tried and true Christian approaches - Apologist or Evangelist.
Jeff and Raj are brought into Casey’s and Bonnie’s road trip question: Are you an apologist or an evangelist? In other words, are you more interested in defending Christianity (or as Casey says, put lipstick on a pig) or in spreading the good news of unconditional love? Jeff wonders if the question poses a false dichotomy, maybe it’s possible to be both an apologist and an evangelist depending on the issue at hand.
For those of us who still find life in the way of Jesus after deconstructing our evangelical fundamentalist faith, Jeff, Casey, Raj and Bonnie invite us into deeper deconstruction -- like, deconstructing the motivation behind our decision to remain Christian, albeit progressive Christian. Using the story of an unconventional baptism in Casey’s hot tub, the mikvah scene from Netflix’s Orange is the New Black and a cry to abolish church organs, the Irenicast crew wonders about Christianity’s ability to overcome historical limitations and truly make all things new.
After all that talk about evangelism -- literally, the good message. In our segment, Jeff, Raj, Casey and Bonnie reveal the Top 3 pre-deconstruction Christian songs that they still jam to when no one is looking. ‘Cause it’s embarrassing and the message isn’t always good.
Conversation on Apologist or Evangelist (01:01)
Top 3 Pre-Deconstruction Christian Songs Segment (48:50)
From Our Conversation on Apologist or Evangelist
- Nadia Bolz-Weber (American Public Theologian)
- Richard Rohr (American author, spiritual writer and Franciscan friar)
- Irenicast Roundtable – The Art of Oversharing – 135 (Irenicast Episode)
- Brené Brown (American research professor)
- Orange is the New Black (HBO TV Series)
- Siege of Jerusalem (70 CE)
- Rudolph Bultmann (German Theologian and Professor of New Testament)
- Rev. Wil Gafney, Ph.D.
- Martin Luther (German professor of theology, composer, priest, monk, and a seminal figure in the Protestant Reformation)
- John Calvin (a French theologian, pastor and reformer in Geneva during the Protestant Reformation)
- Rama (major deity of Hinduism)
- Shiva (major deity of Hinduism)
- Durga (major deity of Hinduism)
From Our Top 3 Pre-Deconstruction Christian Songs Segment
- Blessed Be Your Name by Matt Redman
- Tree 63 (Contemporary Christian Music Band)
- DC10 by Audio Adrenaline
- I’ve Been Redeemed
- Breakfast by Newsboys
- God of Wonders by Third Day
- Jennifer Knapp (Singer/Song Writer)
- Jesus Is Just Alright by DC Talk
- I Can Only Imagine by Mercy Me
- I Can Only Imagine (2018 Film)
- Everywhere by Tim McGraw
- Red Hot Chili Peppers (American Rock Band)
- Running with the Devil by Van Halen
- Believe by Third Day
- Dare You To Move by Switchfoot
- INXS (Australian Rock Band)
- The O.C. Supertones (American Christian Ska Band)
- Relient K (American Christian Rock Band)
- Higher by Creed
- Alter Bridge (American Rock Band)
- Myles Kennedy (Rock Singer)
- Slash (Guitarist)
- Nickleback (American Rock Band)
- The Blood Will Never Lose Its Power
- Shackles (Praise You) by Mary Mary
- Destiny’s Child (American R&B Trio)
- Bumps in a Bump by MC Hammer
- Gospel Gangstaz (American Christian Rap Group)
Thank you for listening to Irenicast. If you appreciate the show please consider sharing your appreciation by rating, reviewing and/or subscribing to the podcast on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or whatever platform you’re listening on.
You can also help support the show financially by going to irenicast.com/amazon to do your Amazon shopping. This will cost you nothing, but Amazon will give a portion of the proceeds to the show.
Jeff Manildi | producer & co-host | firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff is co-founder of Irenicast and loves all things that tell a story: people, movies, tv, music, comics, etc.
Rev. Allen Marshall O’Brien | co-host | email@example.com
Allen is the pastor of a UCC church in Northern California, resident chaplain at an area hospital, and co-founder of Irenicast. He believes in the importance of education, peace, and ecology and writes for multiple platforms.
You can follow Allen (@RevAllenOB) on Facebook,Twitter, Instagram, & Good Reads. Also if you are in the Sacramento, CA area check out Allen’s brick and mortar version of this podcast called Intersections.
Rev. Bonnie Rambob | co-host | firstname.lastname@example.org
Bonnie is the co-pastor at Parkside Community Church. Bonnie has also served the Congregational Church of San Mateo as Transitional Minister for Intergenerational Education. As a graduate of Pacific School of Religion in Berkeley, she offers expertise in multi-faith leadership, the spirituality of children, process theology and church organizational structure. Drawing from her fundamentalist Christian background, she co-leads several outreach ministries to those spiritual travelers who are migrating out of fundamentalist Christianity.
Rev. Raj Rambob | co-host | email@example.com
Rajeev Rambob (Raj) is spouse, of 26 years, to Bonnie Rambob. Both Bonnie and Raj are ordained ministers in the United Church of Christ. They have two adult children who are intelligent, creative, hilarious and kind. Raj has been a K-12 educator and principal. Raj transitioned from K-12 leadership to executive leadership in the nonprofit sector. Raj's non-profit experience is largely in homelessness. Currently Raj is Executive Director of Amador Tuolumne Community Action Agency (ATCAA). ATCAA is a multi-service, anti-poverty, agency that serves two counties. Raj loves thoughtful and irreverent conversation over food and drink with family and trusted friends.
Pastor Casey Tinnin | co-host | firstname.lastname@example.org
Casey is the pastor of Loomis Basin Congregational Church in Loomis California. He is one of the co-creators of Intersections which is a support group that meets once a month to deconstruct their evangelical past. Casey also created a non-religious LGBT teen group, The Landing Spot, that meets once a month. When Casey isn’t preaching, protesting, or providing pastoral care he enjoys spending his time reading comic books, talking about theology, politics and sex, baking, cooking, kayaking and spending time with his partner Jose of six years and walking their dog Kole.
ADD YOUR VOICE TO THE CONVERSATION
Join our progressive Christian conversations on faith and culture by interacting with us through the following links:
Read Us on our blog Irenicon
Email Us at email@example.com
Like Us on Facebook
See Us on Instagram
Support Us on Amazon
Intro and Outro music created by Mike Golin.
This post may contain affiliate links. An Irenicon is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com
149 episodes available. A new episode about every 18 days averaging 64 mins duration .