Manage episode 217023391 series 179436
Is Christian celebrity culture a blessing? A Curse? Simply inevitable? From psychological needs, hagiographies, and cult of personalities to new structures of power, Jeff and Allen tackle the phenomena involved in celebrity and how these operate within Christian culture. This episode’s segment pivots and addresses “The Statement on Social Justice and the Gospel,” a much-talked-about document sponsored by leaders within Allen’s alma mater.
Conversation on Celebrity Christian Culture (01:26)
Current Events Segment - The Statement on Social Justice and the Gospel (42:48)
From Our Conversation on Christian Celebrity Culture
- Robyn Henderson-Espinoza, PhD (Queer Activist, Latinx Scholar, Public Theologian
- "Progressive Christianity's cult of personality is not transformative leadership." (Tweet from @nathanlovestrees, quoting @irobyn)
- Hagiography (Wiki)
- Dorothy Day (American journalist, social activist, and Catholic convert)
- Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals by Shane Claiborne (Book - Amazon Affiliate Link)
- The Halo Effect (Wiki)
- The Problem of Fame (School of Life YouTube Video)
- Nike "I Am Not a Role Model" commercial w/Charles Barkley - 1993 (YouTube Video)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson (American astrophysicist, author, and science communicator)
- Bill Nye (American science communicator, television presenter, and mechanical engineer)
- Howard George Hendricks (Longtime professor at Dallas Theological Seminary and speaker for Promise Keepers)
- Justin Bieber reportedly breaks with celebrity pastor — who doesn’t sound happy about Hailey Baldwin engagement
- Hillsong Pastor Carl Lentz Wears Supreme And Is Friends With Justin Bieber (YouTube Video)
- Church Clarity
- Why Church Clarity Matters for "Hipster Churches" and Beyond: Q&A with Broderick Greer (Blog Post for Church Clarity)
From Our Segment Discussing the Statement on Social Justice and the Gospel
- The Statement on Social Justice & the Gospel
- Nashville Statement
- Hundreds of Christian Leaders Denounce the Nashville Statement in an Open Letter
- Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy
- John MacArthur's Master's University Put on Probation by Accrediting Agency
Thank you for listening to Irenicast. If you appreciate the show please consider sharing your appreciation by rating, reviewing and/or subscribing to the podcast on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or whatever platform you’re listening on.
You can also help support the show financially by going to irenicast.com/amazon to do your Amazon shopping. This will cost you nothing, but Amazon will give a portion of the proceeds to the show.
Jeff Manildi | co-host and producer | firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff is the Director of Discipleship at a United Methodist church on the central coast of California and co-founder of Irenicast. In addition to getting his B.A. in Theology, he also received his ordination through the prestigious online organization of The Universal Life Church whose alumni include the likes of Conan O’Brien and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Jeff loves all things that tell a story: people, movies, tv, music, comics, etc.
Rev. Allen O’Brien | co-host | email@example.com
Allen is the pastor of a UCC church in Northern California and co-founder of Irenicast. He believes in the importance of education, peace, and ecology, throws things to his border collie Sonata, and writes for multiple platforms.
You can follow Allen (@RevAllenOB) on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, & Good Reads. Also if you are in the Sacramento, CA area check out Allen’s brick and mortar version of this podcast called Intersections.
ADD YOUR VOICE TO THE CONVERSATION
Join our progressive Christian conversations on faith and culture by interacting with us through the following links:
Read Us on our blog Irenicon
Email Us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Like Us on Facebook
See Us on Instagram
Support Us on Amazon
Intro and Outro music created by Mike Golin.
This post may contain affiliate links. An Irenicon is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com
150 episodes available. A new episode about every 18 days averaging 64 mins duration .