Manage episode 238942940 series 179436
Does God Act? In an epilogue to their Community series, Irenicast co-hosts ask and answer the question where they find God showing up in the world. Spoilers: they don’t all agree!After a brief discussion on the language we use for God, Casey helps turn the discussion toward the experiential, highlighting the diversity of the team. Eventually this connects to a more theoretical and systematic consideration of divine action, causality, process and a discussion on the trajectory and diversity of progressive thought.
The episode finishes with a new, hilarious segment Praise, Protest, Pray to: a variation of the classic F*ck, Marry, Kill. Each host chose three public or historic personalities and the rest have to determine who they’d praise, protest, etc. Things are said, regrets are had, but in the end hilarity reigns.
Conversation on Does God Act? (02:46)
Praise, Protest, Pray To Segment (54:06)
From Our Conversation Does God Act?
- Previous Episodes in Series on Relationship
- Footprints in the Sand (Poem)
- Alister McGrath (Theologian)
- Kurt Vonnegut (American Writer - Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Luke 17:11-19 CEB (Story of the 10 Lepers)
- Cracking the Cult Code for Therapists: What Every Cult Victim Wants Their Therapist to Know by Bonnie Zieman (Book Bonnie mentions about the aftermath of high control groups - Amazon Affiliate Link)
From Our Praise, Protest, Pray To Segment
- Billy Graham (American Evangelist)
- Rick Warren (American Pastor and Writer)
- James Dobson (Focus on the Family Founder)
- Anne Lamott (America Author - Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Brené Brown (Research Professor, Author)
- The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings of Authenticity, Connection, and Courage by Brené Brown PhD (Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Nadia Bolz-Weber (Author & Speaker - Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Martin Luther (Germon Theologian, Protestant Reformation)
- Jan Hus (Theologian & Philosopher)
- Bohemian Reformation
- Rob Bell (Author & Speaker - Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Oprah Winfrey (American Entertainer & Executive)
- Jerry Falwell Jr. (President of Liberty University)
Thank you for listening to Irenicast. If you appreciate the show please consider sharing your appreciation by rating, reviewing and/or subscribing to the podcast on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or whatever platform you’re listening on.
You can also help support the show financially by going to irenicast.com/amazon to do your Amazon shopping. This will cost you nothing, but Amazon will give a portion of the proceeds to the show.
Rev. Allen O’Brien, MAT | co-founder & co-host | firstname.lastname@example.org
Allen is a venerator of emotionality. He thrives on education, peace, and interconnectedness— passions which permeate his work as pastor, writer, lover of all the things, and occasional vegan.
Rev. Bonnie Rambob, MDiv | co-host | email@example.com
As a pastor, activist, educator, mom, and possibility artist, Bonnie invites people into newness. She loves climbing trees, knitting and hiking while conversing with friends about smashing the patriarchy.
Pastor Casey Tinnin, MTS | co-host | firstname.lastname@example.org
Preacher, protester, everybody’s pastor. Casey geeks out on comic books, talking theology, politics, and sex. He’s most free when he is dancing, cooking with his partner Jose, or walking their dog Kole.
Jeff Manildi | co-founder, producer & co-host | email@example.com
Chaser of tales and climax initiator, Jeff rises to the occasion, edging to a satisfying completion. Get your mind out of the gutter, we’re talking story, not sex. Jeff expresses his creativity by curating diverse ideas, energies and people.
Rev. Rajeev Rambob, MCL | co-host | firstname.lastname@example.org
Rajeev loves thoughtful and provocative conversation over food and drink, most often with his family. He’s a loyal, smart-ass friend who believes in the power of spiritual journeys. Feminist, Anti-colonial, Process Theology-nerd.
ADD YOUR VOICE TO THE CONVERSATION
Join our progressive Christian conversations on faith and culture by interacting with us through the following links:
Read Us on our blog Irenicon
Email Us at email@example.com
Like Us on Facebook
See Us on Instagram
Support Us on Amazon
Intro and Outro music created by Mike Golin.
This post may contain affiliate links. An Irenicon is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com