Manage episode 243414539 series 179436
Per listener request, the Irenicast crew takes up the topic of Faith Healing. Surprise! Not every evangelical and/or fundamentalist tradition approaches this topic in the same way. Co-hosts discuss personal experiences with Faith Healing through the filters of their former faith contexts as well as their current faith contexts.
The question of faith leaders using “faith healing” in manipulative or exploitative ways comes up. Because of Allen and Jeff, the bible comes up too. The conversation includes the underlying exploration of what it means to be broken/not well and what it means to be whole/healed. Who gets to decide? The discussion expands beyond the Christian faith tradition and beyond the borders of the United States.
The episode ends with a Good News/Bad News segment. The good news: Irenicast is made famous by the lost city Atlantis. The bad news: Mike Pence wears drag and… it all devolves from there. Extra points for making it all the way to the end.
Conversation on Faith Healing (01:19)
Good News/Bad News Segment (48:44)
From Our Conversation on Faith Healing
- Does Prayer Work? – Name It, Claim It or Reframe It – 081 (Irenicast Episode)
- Conversion Therapy – Praying the Gay Away – 150 (Irenicast Episode)
- Mark 10:46-52 CEB (Passage discussed about the blind man being healed)
- Benny Hinn (American Televangelist and Faith Healer)
- Trigeminal Neuralgia (Medical Condition)
- Elizabeth Jeffries PhD – Through the Kaleidoscope – 146 (Irenicast Episode)
- Process Theology
- Holy Envy: Finding God in the Faith of Others by Barbara Brown Taylor (Book - Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Alton Brown (American television personality, food show presenter, author, actor, cinematographer, and musician)
- Good Eats (TV Show)
- J. Kenji Lopez-Alt (American chef and food writer)
- The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science by J. Kenji López-Alt (Book Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Aquaman (2018 Film)
- Sarah Palin (American politician)
- Michelle Obama (First lady of the United States from 2009 to 2017)
- Joe Rogan (American stand-up comedian, mixed martial arts color commentator, podcast host, and former actor and television host)
- Mike Pence (American politician and Vice President)
- You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman (Song - 1967 single released by American soul singer Aretha Franklin)
SUPPORT THE SHOW
You can always count on Irenicast providing a free podcast on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month. However, that does not mean that we do not have expense related to the show. If we have provided value to you and you would like to support the show, here are a few options.
PAYPAL - You can make a one-time, or recurring, tax-deductible donation to the show through PayPal. Just go to Irenicast.com/PayPal to make your donation. We are a 501(c)(3).
MERCH - Irenicast has a merch store at Irenicast.com/Store. We are always developing more items so check out our current offerings.
AMAZON - Next time you go to make a purchase on Amazon consider using our Amazon affiliate link. This will give us a small portion on everything you purchase. No additional cost will be passed on to you.
Rev. Allen O’Brien, MAT | co-founder & co-host | email@example.com
Rev. Bonnie Rambob, MDiv | co-host | firstname.lastname@example.org
Pastor Casey Tinnin, MTS | co-host | email@example.com
Jeff Manildi | co-founder, producer & co-host | firstname.lastname@example.org
Rev. Rajeev Rambob, MCL | co-host | email@example.com
ADD YOUR VOICE TO THE CONVERSATION
Join our progressive Christian conversations on faith and culture by interacting with us through the following links:
Read Us on our blog Irenicon
Email Us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow Us on Twitter
Like Us on Facebook
See Us on Instagram
Intro and Outro music created by Mike Golin.
This post may contain affiliate links. An Irenicon is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com