Manage episode 197622360 series 179436
Of all the out of context verses Revelation has its fair share. One of the most used and abused passages of the New Testament, the “hot or cold” verse means exactly the opposite of what you think it means. Jeff and Allen discuss the virtues of doing good work (read: being useful) despite religious affections, then share the most useful and useless items in their own lives.
Conversation on Out of Context Verses Revelation 3:15-16 (01:37)
Our Usefulness Segment (38:19)
From Our Conversation on Out of Context Verses Revelation
- Casual Christian by DeGarmo & Key (Contemporary Christian Song)
- Aggelos (Greek word for angel or messenger)
- The Church of Laodicea in the Bible and Archaeology (Article)
- Best of Tobias Fünke (YouTube Video)
- Laodicea (Blog Post)
- Yvette Flunder (American singer and senior pastor of the City of Refuge United Church of Christ in Oakland)
Previous Irenicast Episodes on the Bible
- The Nature of Biblical Texts – Wholly Scripture, Batman! – 004 (Irenicast Episode)
- Interpreting the Bible Part 1 – Literally Literature – 063 (Irenicast Episode)
- Interpreting the Bible Part 2 – A Scribed Meaning – 064 (Irenicast Episode)
- Interpreting the Bible Part 3 – Collecting Lenses – 065 (Irenicast Episode)
- Out of Context Verses Philippians 4:13 – 103 (Irenicast Episode)
From Our Segment
- Instant Pot (Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Pho (Vietnamese Soup)
- Chef’s Steps Sous Vide (YouTube Playlist)
- Serious Eats Sous Vide Recipes
- Anova (Jeff’s Sous Vide machine of choice - Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Waterpik (Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Periodontal Disease
- #AllensBigAdventure on Instagram
- #AllensBigAdventure on Facebook
- AeroPress (Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Inventor of K-Cups regrets the idea (Article)
- Hannity Fans Destroy Keurig Coffee Makers After Company Pulls Advertising (Article)
- Mud Before Blood (Allen’s New Blog)
Thank you for listening to Irenicast. If you appreciate the show please consider sharing your appreciation by rating, reviewing and/or subscribing to the podcast on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or whatever platform you’re listening on.
You can also help support the show financially by going to irenicast.com/amazon to do your Amazon shopping. This will cost you nothing, but Amazon will give a portion of the proceeds to the show.
Jeff Manildi | co-host and producer | firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff is the husband to an incredibly strong woman and father of two captivating young ladies. He is currently the Director of Discipleship at a United Methodist church on the central coast of California. In addition to getting his B.A. in Theology, he also received his ordination through the prestigious online organization of The Universal Life Church whose alumni include the likes of Conan O’Brien and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. Jeff loves all things that tell a story: people, movies, tv, music, comics, etc.
Allen O’Brien | co-host | email@example.com
Allen received his B.A. in Biblical Studies from The Master's College and an M.A. in Theology and Biblical Studies from Fuller Theological Seminary, making him the illegitimate child of both conservative and moderately progressive evangelicalism. He has worked in church ministry since 2006 and is currently solo-pastoring at his local UCC congregation. When not ministering, Allen throws things to his border collie Sonata and writes for multiple platforms.
You can follow Allen (@AllenOB) on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, & Good Reads. Also if you are in the Sacramento, CA area check out Allen’s brick and mortar version of this podcast called Intersections.
ADD YOUR VOICE TO THE CONVERSATION
Join our post-evangelical conversations on faith and culture by interacting with us through the following links:
Read Us on our blog Irenicon
Email Us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Like Us on Facebook
See Us on Instagram
Support Us on Amazon
Intro and Outro music created by Mike Golin.
This post may contain affiliate links. An Irenicon is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com
152 episodes available. A new episode about every 0 hours averaging 66 mins duration .