Manage episode 168396570 series 179436
Mass incarceration has reached truly astounding levels in the land of the free and home of the brave and its criminal justice system. Jeff, Mona & Allen discuss the newly released documentary 13th, various social and historical factors behind the growth of the prison industrial complex, specifics like mandatory minimum sentencing, generalities around criminality, the image of God, ministry of Jesus, and much more. The segment in this episode consists of “crazy laws” which are somehow still on the books.
Criminal Justice System Conversation (00:30)
Crazy Laws Segment (53:22)
End Jason's "Death By Incarceration" - If you would like to help Mona’s pen pal, Jason, cover his legal fees for a potential overturn of his sentence please check out his funded justice page and contribute.
From Our Criminal Justice System Conversation
- 13th (Netflix Documentary)
- Criminal Justice and Restoration – Why the Lock Up Should Be on Lockdown – 017 (Irenicast Episode)
- Black and Pink (An organization supporting our LGBTQ family in prison)
- In Between Days (Jason’s Blog - Mona’s Pen Pal)
- What are Mandatory Minimums?
- What is ALEC?
- John Oliver on ALEC (YouTube Video)
- Incarceration Rates
- Nixon Aide Reportedly Admitted Drug War Was Meant To Target Black People (Article)
- Due Process is Dead: A Staggering 95% of All Inmates in America Have Never Received a Trial (Article)
- The Executed God: The Way of the Cross in Lockdown America by Mark Lewis Taylor (Book - Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Father Greg Boyle
- Justice Department says it will end use of private prisons (Article)
- Private Prison Stocks Are Surging After Trump's Win (Article)
- Donald Trump’s doubling down on the Central Park Five reflects a bigger problem (Article)
From Our Crazy Laws Segment
- ‘Meter fairy’ told he can’t feed other people’s parking meters (Article)
- Montana’s Sheep Law
- Can’t Drink Standing Up and Can’t Own a Pet Duck
- The Right To Grow Your Own Food Is Being Hijacked By The Federal Government (Article)
- Wisconsin's Butter & Cheese Laws
- Illinois Man Faces 75 Years in Prison For Recording Police (Article)
Thank you for listening to Irenicast. If you appreciate the show please consider sharing your appreciation by rating, reviewing and/or subscribing to the podcast on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or whatever platform you’re listening on.
You can also help support the show financially by going to irenicast.com/amazon to do your Amazon shopping. This will cost you nothing, but Amazon will give a portion of the proceeds to the show.
ADD YOUR VOICE TO THE CONVERSATION
Join our post-evangelical conversations on faith and culture by interacting with us through the following links:
Read Us on our blog Irenicon
Email Us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Like Us on Facebook
See Us on Instagram
Support Us on Amazon
Intro and Outro music created by Mike Golin.
This post may contain affiliate links. An Irenicon is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com