Manage episode 192886100 series 179436
The sovereignty of God can bring with it a lot of questions and/or baggage depending upon your religious context. Is God in control? What is God’s will for our lives? Is history already determined? This week Allen and Jeff discuss how their answers to these questions have changed for them over the years and what that has meant for their lives and spirituality.
Conversation on the Sovereignty of God (00:37)
Wacky News Segment (43:18)
From Our Sovereignty of God Conversation
- Decision Making and the Will of God by Garry Friesen and J. Robin Maxson (Book - Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Divine Concurrence (Theological Term)
- Calvinism (Theological Term)
- Hammurabi (6th king of the First Babylonian Dynasty)
- Code of Hammurabi (Babylonian Code of Law)
- Wolfhart Pannenberg (Theologian)
- Process Theology (Theological Term)
- Alfred North Whitehead (Theologian)
- Theology for the Community of God by Stanley J. Grenz (Book - Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Open Theism (Theological Term)
- Numbers 22 (CEB) - The Story of Balaam
- Daniel 4 (CEB) - Nebuchadnezzar's Animal Transformation
- Donnie Darko (2001 Film - Amazon Affiliate Link)
From Our Wacky News Segment
- At a Navajo veterans' event, Trump makes 'Pocahontas' crack (Article)
- Trump's latest tweetstorm called Kim Jong Un “short and fat” (Article)
- “Dog Tamagotchi” - Super Deluxe
- English firefighters saved some piglets from a blaze; then they ate them as sausages (Article)
- Used Car Commercial (YouTube Video)
- It’s Time To Rename Fire Ants ‘Spicy Boys’ (Article)
- David Beckham (Soccer Player)
Thank you for listening to Irenicast. If you appreciate the show please consider sharing your appreciation by rating, reviewing and/or subscribing to the podcast on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or whatever platform you’re listening on.
You can also help support the show financially by going to irenicast.com/amazon to do your Amazon shopping. This will cost you nothing, but Amazon will give a portion of the proceeds to the show.
Jeff Manildi | co-host and producer | firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff is the husband to an incredibly strong woman and father of two captivating young ladies. He is currently the Director of Discipleship at a United Methodist church on the central coast of California. In addition to getting his B.A. in Theology, he also received his ordination through the prestigious online organization of The Universal Life Church whose alumni include the likes of Conan O’Brien and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. Jeff loves all things that tell a story: people, movies, tv, music, comics, etc.
Allen O’Brien | co-host | email@example.com
Allen received his B.A. in Biblical Studies from The Master's College and an M.A. in Theology and Biblical Studies from Fuller Theological Seminary, making him the illegitimate child of both conservative and moderately progressive evangelicalism. He has worked in church ministry since 2006 and is currently solo-pastoring at his local UCC congregation. When not ministering, Allen throws things to his border collie Sonata and writes for multiple platforms.
You can follow Allen (@AllenOB) on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, & Good Reads. Also if you are in the Sacramento, CA area check out Allen’s brick and mortar version of this podcast called Intersections.
ADD YOUR VOICE TO THE CONVERSATION
Join our post-evangelical conversations on faith and culture by interacting with us through the following links:
Read Us on our blog Irenicon
Email Us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Like Us on Facebook
See Us on Instagram
Support Us on Amazon
Intro and Outro music created by Mike Golin.
This post may contain affiliate links. An Irenicon is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com
149 episodes available. A new episode about every 18 days averaging 64 mins duration .