Manage episode 234483889 series 1468282
Are you experiencing hormonal imbalance? What causes it and how do we fix it? Dr. Felice Gersh takes the integrative approach to female hormone management and shares the steps that we can take to manage our hormones and feel better.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- Getting into integrative medicine and helping women achieve optimal health
- Women with complex hormonal problems
- Endocrine disruptors
- Estrogen: The master hormone
- Taking a look at our toxic exposure
- The circadian rhythm dysfunction
- PCOS symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment
- The benefits of Fasting Mimicking Diet
- De-stressing through meditation and guided imagery
- The menstrual cycle is a vital sign of female wellbeing.
- The conventional medical system is so focused on symptoms and organ systems that they don’t see the total body as a whole.
- The woman’s body is so complex and the reproductive system is completely intertwined with the metabolic functions.
- There is no magic pill that will solve your hormonal problems. We have to turn to food as medicine and take a look at the toxins we’re exposed to and the kind lifestyle that we live.
- Every hormone interrelates with estrogen in some manner. For example, when you have improper functioning of estrogen, you will have improper functioning of thyroid because the rhythm of estrogen during the menstrual cycle upregulates the thyroid receptors, it upregulates the testosterone and progesterone receptors. So it’s a beautiful web of interlinking with estrogen being a master of them all.
- Your state of fitness is actually more predictive of your longevity than is your blood pressure.
- The primary treatment for PCOS is birth control pills. But rather than being a suitable treatment, it increases some of the very problems that women with PCOS are suffering from like the potential for blood clots, hypertension, insulin resistance, and diabetes.
- Diet plays a huge role in treating women with PCOS. It’s what they eat, what they don’t eat, and when they eat.
- Studies show that you don’t have any saturated fat in your diet, you will be depressed. So really, when it comes to diet, it’s all about balance.
- Do what you can to support your detoxification pathways.
- Dim your lights at night.
- Reduce your exposure to blue light in the evening. Don’t use the computer or the cell phone for at least an hour before you go to bed.
- Eat real food. Buy food from local growers at farmers markets.
- Work out regularly.
Become a Fat Burning Female through The Fat Burning Female Project or The Fat Burning Female Self-Study and get access to the functional lab testing group courses! The next Fat Burning Female Project is coming up on July 7 so make sure to mark your calendars if you want to be a part of it.
“We live in a world where we have destroyed our ability to make estrogen through endocrine disruptors and chemicals that are being given to women by doctors… and they’re designed to alter normal women’s rhythms and natural hormone production.”
“The emotions a person experiences will shape the physical world of their body absolutely… Our minds are so powerful both for creating problems and for resolving problems.”
Resource mentioned in the show:
- PCOS SOS: A Gynecologist's Lifeline To Naturally Restore Your Rhythms, Hormones, and Happiness by Felice Gersh, M.D.
- Four Sigmatic - Use the coupon code shawn and get 15% off your order.
- Chomps - Use the coupon code keto4women and get 20% off your order plus free shipping.
More from Dr. Felice Gersh:
More from Shawn Mynar:
The advice and opinions in The Keto For Women show are intended for informational purposes only and should not be taken as medical care or advice. Please always consult your medical professional for your specific health concerns.