Manage episode 215611242 series 1265716
Today’s episode features Edgar Ramirez, President and CEO of Chicago Commons, an organization that has invested and helped shape the lives of Chicagoans since 1894. Like a few other organizations, Chicago Commons has evolved from its settlement house origins to partner with individuals, families, and communities to overcome poverty, discrimination, and isolation. Their programs are designed to help children, families and seniors GO further to live richer, more fulfilling lives. Emphasis on the GO.
We Learn About:
- Chicago Commons eastern European immigrant origins to now servicing elderly and early learners on South and West sides;
- Edgar’s journey to Commons and how mentorship really shaped his path;
- How listening to community has influenced Commons’ approach to programming;
- Edgar shares Insight on how Commons’ bridges services in African-American and Latino communities; and
- Edgar also reflects on his leadership and what’s changed since becoming CEO.
Pablo Neruda, The Essential Neruda: Selected Poems
Sendhil Mullainathan, Scarcity: The New Science of Having Less and How It Defines Our Lives
To learn more about Chicago Commons, visit: chicagocommons.org
To support Chicago Commons: Click Here to DonateListen on iTunes
16 episodes available. A new episode about every 30 days averaging 28 mins duration .