Manage episode 234196039 series 1313912
In this episode of Lean the F*ck Out, we talk with entrepreneur Amy Rasdal about how she leaned out and started her own consulting business. Amy shares tips and tricks on how to build your own consulting business from her own experience and from her own trainings for women looking to lean out and stay home with their children.Launching a Consulting Business Episode Highlights:
- There are a lot of other options to working a 9-5 job, you can live the life you want to live. Amy works to open minds to the ideas of what those options could be.
- Just because you work from home doesn’t mean you should make less money.
- The work that you do is important, not where you do the work.
- You do not have to give up your career path if you become a consultant.
- Happiness is a journey. Just when you figure it out something is going to change. Enjoy the ride.
- As a consultant you are hired for your specific “superpower”. “Be a Superhero with Superpowers and make Superpay.”
- Your consulting business puts you in a position to be a short term resource for a company, which allows you to get paid more.
- Use the term “work remotely” instead of “work from home”. Allows for a different mindset with clients. Your home office is “The Office”.
- Be prepared to be able to answer “What is your rate?” with confidence. Practice it out loud. Practicing makes a huge difference.
- To start a consulting business you need a computer, a phone, brainpower, and business experience.
- You do need to have some experience with your superpower before starting your own consulting business.
- You don’t have to start a business as soon as you launch. Get a client and get your first check in the bank, then keep building.
- Often when you start your consulting business your first few clients will come quickly, then you have to work to build your the pipeline out from there.
- The billable work is the easy part, the business development and marketing is the hard part when you start your own consulting business.
- Look for clients within your own network to get started.
- Work to constantly to expand your network - always be prospecting.
- It’s always relationship building that gets you clients, not the social media, etc. You can’t just “build it and they will come.”
- No matter if you are in corporate or starting your own consulting business, there is always a leap (sidewalk crack or grand canyon) - you can work your way to take these steps, one at a time.
I am a working mom of two kids, ages 15 and 5. I traded my corporate job for consulting 15 years ago and make more money than most executives. Now I live a very blended life with almost no boundaries. I work and play every day. I liberate corporate working mothers by empowering them to build their own successful consulting businesses. I’m quick on the mute button and I can tell you a foolproof way to do a professional conference call from Disneyland.
The mission of Billable with Baby® is to help you find the courage to start your own consulting business so you can have the freedom and flexibility to raise your children the way you wish. You can replace the full time pay your family needs.You can find Amy online at:
If you are thinking about starting a business or side hustle, check out our Lean the F*ck Out Launch Kit. The kit gives you tools and inspiration to start thinking like a fempreneur and start designing the life you want! You’ll receive a guided meditation to help you figure out your vision, a budget worksheet to see what you need financially to make a go of it, daily practices including printable worksheets and daily affirmations to help you keep your head up when your confidence is waning. Again, it’s free and it’s available at leanthef-ckout.com/launchkit.
Music: Sunshine by The Icicles
106 episodes available. A new episode about every 9 days averaging 38 mins duration .