Manage episode 218074070 series 1313912
We talk with Jen Proctor, Founder & CEO of Cultivated Entertainment about Navigating the Pressures of Entrepreneurship. Jen certainly knows high pressure. She runs a full-service talent consulting firm in Los Angeles and has worked with some of the biggest names in the entertainment industry. Jen talks about leading with compassion, a mantra that fuels her. She also talks about losing her mother to suicide and how that has shaped who she is today. Jen shares tips on how she takes care of herself amidst the pressure of running her own business, managing clients and life in general.
- On self care:
- Balance and self care have to be worked on every day.
- She works out every morning for an hour without her phone.
- Tune into your body and mind.
- It’s important to first and foremost have compassion for yourself. Allow yourself to feel whatever you’re feeling it whenever you are feeling it.
- On sales and taking on the right work:
- Does this align with my values. Project by project.
- Set boundaries. A good way to do that is focusing on finances. Don’t work with those that aren’t committed with a budget. Own your work.
- Saying no can legitimize you.
- Try to understand the person you are trying to make the deal with. You don’t know what that person has been through. Give them a chance to show you who they are.
- On managing high pressure projects:
- Soak in there demands or whatever they are doing and don’t react right away.
- Put yourself in their shoes before answering and come to a level where you can actually communicate with that person.
- Human to human connection can resolve so much.
"Lead with compassion and compassion only.” This is the mantra that fuels Jen Proctor, Founder & CEO of Cultivated Entertainment, both professionally and personally.
Cultivated Entertainment is a full-service talent consulting firm that connects entertainment entities and brands with talent across campaigns, media, events, and more. Jen is an integral part of every synergy created and oversees all accounts. Compassion remains the cornerstone of her business strategy; Jen’s warmth and energy have solidified her as one of the industry’s go-to experts in talent development, casting, producing and booking.
Cultivated Entertainment’s clients range from traditional television and production studios to cutting-edge streaming services and global consumer brands. For every project, Jen and her team utilize years of experience, data-driven insights and trend research to go above and beyond client expectations. Complete transparency and client collaboration throughout the entire process are of the utmost importance in all that Cultivated Entertainment does- reinforcing this compassionate mantra.
Jen’s immense knowledge and understanding of talent and the entertainment industry is a culmination of all her work experience prior to the launch of Cultivated. Just before launching the company, Jen was the Head of Talent for Embassy Row, Sony Pictures Televisions’ TV and digital production company. There, she oversaw the development and booking of talent for all productions from inception to completion. She also held roles as Head of Talent for a cable network’s daily talk show, was an Entertainment field producer for Fox News and worked on the talent representation side, on the booking desks of CAA and ICM.
There is no such thing as ‘off the clock’ for Jen, she is working everyday to create and cultivate new relationships. People are her utmost priority in life and business."
Suicide Prevention Lifeline: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/Download the FREE Lean the F*ck Out Launch Kit
If you are thinking about starting a business or side hustle, check out our Lean the F*ck Out Launch Kit. The kit gives you tools and inspiration to start thinking like a fempreneur and start designing the life you want! You’ll receive a guided meditation to help you figure out your vision, a budget worksheet to see what you need financially to make a go of it, daily practices including printable worksheets and daily affirmations to help you keep your head up when your confidence is waning. Again, it’s free and it’s available at leanthef-ckout.com/launchkit.
Music: Sunshine by The Icicles
101 episodes available. A new episode about every 9 days averaging 37 mins duration .