Manage episode 229629603 series 1313912
In this episode of Lean the F*ck Out, we talk with Robin Stewart, founder and co-owner of Rip Fix about how she took a family recipe and turned it into a must-have product for athletes around the world. Robin discusses how she started and grew the company and how she manages it today as a passive income stream.
From Family Recipe to Passive Income Episode Highlights:
- Rip Fix started out being made in a kitchen and moved to small batch manufacturing.
- Business mentor advised, that “You will know when you can’t handle it and are falling behind” that is when you need to make the move to manufacturing the product.
- Planning for a manufacturer started quite a bit of time before they actually needed one. Connections are of the utmost importance.
- Small batch manufacturers can be expensive and hard to find.
- Robin and business partner built systems for the business which now allows for passive income.
- Working with an Amazon Prime consultant really took their business to the next level.
- When you start off get the right business partner (need to balance each other out and have opposite skillset).
- Take your time (when you get excited you can take on things that can trip you up).
- Get comfortable with making mistakes.
- Product sales take a while before you actually make money. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.
Robin grew up in Toronto, Canada and has spent most of her life in a gym of some sort. At age 4, she started her gymnastics career and worked her way up to become a top level competitive gymnast. Unfortunately, she ruptured her achilles heel right before what would have been her Olympic trial year; it was the boycott year so she wouldn’t have gone anyway.
She paid her way through college teaching aerobics (yes, step class in leg warmers and very high cut leotards) and has been a fitness educator for over 20 years. In 2008 Robin moved to Franklin, TN from Los Angeles, CA for a life change. During her time in LA she worked as an actress and a certified personal trainer.
In 2012, Robin reignited her love of the fitness industry after joining a CrossFit box and realized she found where all retired gymnasts should train. It was a place where they could show off their kipping abilities and feel competitive again.
When she started CrossFit she saw the need for hand care (who knows rips better than a CrossFitting former gymnast?!) and she knew it was time to market her family’s “miracle cream”.� With the encouragement of her CrossFit community and a great business partnership with Cecilia, RipFix was launched.
Robin is a single Mother of two beautiful, high achieving girls, her 25 year old is a Medical Student at Johns Hopkins University and her 10 year old is a State Champion level 5 Gymnast.
She believes in hard work, perseverance, fun and lives by the motto “You are only as old as you look from behind”.You can find Robin online at:
Ripfix.comDownload the FREE Lean the F*ck Out Launch Kit
If you are thinking about starting a business or side hustle, check out our Lean the F*ck Out Launch Kit. The kit gives you tools and inspiration to start thinking like a fempreneur and start designing the life you want! You’ll receive a guided meditation to help you figure out your vision, a budget worksheet to see what you need financially to make a go of it, daily practices including printable worksheets and daily affirmations to help you keep your head up when your confidence is waning. Again, it’s free and it’s available at leanthef-ckout.com/launchkit.
Music: Sunshine by The Icicles
101 episodes available. A new episode about every 9 days averaging 37 mins duration .