Manage episode 186301774 series 1440970
Synopsis: This week on “Learn Me Something,” Aaron and Rich delve into a pain. Pain is one of the few shared experiences, but not all of us feel it the same.
You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, who had ever been alive. — James Baldwin
While everyone knows that physical pain can cause emotional pain, emotional pain can also cause physical pain. This becomes particularly important to recognize in the setting of chronic, medically unexplained pain syndromes. — Howard Schubiner, MD
Present: Aaron Stewart, Rich Plumb
- Misuse of Prescription Drugs
- The Surprisingly Humanlike Ways Animals Feel Pain
- Altered cognition-related brain activity and interactions with acute pain in migraine
- Can the Brain cause Pain? How the Brain Handles Emotions
- Emotional and Physical Pain Activate Similar Brain Regions
- The dark side of acetaminophen
- Congenital insensitivity to pain with anhidrosis
- Knob for Human Suffering
Follow your hosts, guests, and the show on Twitter
- @LMSPodcast on Twitter
- Learn Me Something on Facebook
- @HologramRadio for updates on other interesting podcasts
Subscribe to Learn Me Something!
Download: Episode 16: What Is Pain?
44 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 56 mins duration .