Manage episode 234181314 series 2359262
Our guest today Torey Ivanic believes the first step you need to take is to create space to make a big change in your life.
When you slow down and take the time to reflect new insights will give you direction, as well as the motivation to get started!
Torey started her homeopathic practice 6 years ago after being frustrated by not being able to spend enough time with her patients as a physicians assistant.
She recently launched a coaching practice to help people create more space in their lives for change. You can learn more at Open Space.
Torey has been busy creating space to make changes in her own life in the past couple of years, publishing her memoir about her recovery from a sexual assault called No Big Deal and organizing an adult summer camp inspired by Jonathan Field’s Camp Good Life Project called Camp Is In Your Heart.
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- Why booking “creative time” helps Tory make more effective use of her time.
- How systematizing all of her new ideas made running her business more sustainable.
- Test out your ideas by looking for win-win opportunities with potential clients.
- How she designed her business to provide her with the flexibility she needs to be there for her family.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Embrace discomfort
- Tell your story
- Manage your energy
- Purge your life
How Torey Works and Thinks
- Work schedule design: Appointments scheduled on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday which leave Mondays and Fridays open for self-care and other activities. When she was writing the book, she blocked out Wednesdays for writing and was able to write a chapter per week.
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Meditating every morning. 2) Creativity habits. 3) Not leaving things to be done the next day, but dealing with things like emails as they come in daily.
- Definition of success: Continuing to challenge herself and feel a sense of contribution.
“You start with what you know and then that’s that first baby step and then you can branch out more and more and more and see what else comes to you and it’s a beautiful way to start a business and to just really take ownership of what you’re doing in the world.”
“It’s very worth it for me to work less and make less, but be very intentional with my time and what I get to do with it.”
“You can’t be an entrepreneur if you’re not gonna have some creativity thrown in there.”
If you know you want to create space in your life, but aren’t sure where to start, Torey shared this advice:
1) Find something you’re passionate about and go try some different things if you’re not quite sure what you are passionate about.
2) Find something that you innately love that allows you to lose yourself in it. (This can also serve as a form of meditation for you too!)
3) Look inward through activities like journaling or talking and walking with a really good friend.
Resources + Bonus Materials
Connect With Torey
The post Create Space To Make a Big Change With Torey Ivanic (274) appeared first on Life Skills That Matter.
281 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 39 mins duration .