Manage episode 214474394 series 2359262
Ben Walker shares how he built his business from scratch by regularly attending conferences to develop relationships with his target customer. His story is a great illustration of The Niche Tribe Model I taught in episode 214.
Ben is the founder and CEO of Transcription Outsourcing LLC, a leading global provider of premium transcription services in a variety of fields from medicine to education.
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- Diversifying your business model to adapt to changing markets and technology.
- Having a backup plan for your current career path.
- How he started his business from scratch by going to conferences and taking on anything people needed.
- How he built his email marketing strategy one email at a time.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Reframe your mindset
- Build your community
- Align your habits
- Self-direct your learning
How Ben Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 6:30 am
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Email. 2) Writing. 3) Requests for proposals.
- Ideal work environment: In a busy restaurant or Starbucks, by himself.
- Favorite productivity tool: Outlook
- 90-day goal: Hiring a new director of operations.
“I literally started signing up and going to conferences and learning on the fly.”
“Once you get your foot in the door, you get confidence that you didn’t have before.”
For somebody starting their business right now, Ben had this advice for how to reach out more to the target customers:
1) Go to events like conferences to get into the community that you’re serving.
2) Learn as much as you possibly can about the field you’re working in and your customers.
Resources + Bonus Materials
Connect With Ben
The post Start Your Business By Attending Conferences With Ben Walker (233) appeared first on Life Skills That Matter.
278 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 39 mins duration .