301 - Building relationships, focusing on your strengths, and why you need a therapist with Justin Jackson
Manage episode 213523401 series 2316332
Even after a decade in the software industry, he’s the first one to admit he’s still trying to figure things out. But after interviewing hundreds of people, he realized that their defining moments were often a result of relationships. One of his own defining moments came from meeting a friend who pushed him to do a podcast together. That experienced motivated him to do his own show, which resulted in countless relationships and opportunities.
He also credits getting a therapist as one of the best things he’s ever done. After a really rough year, connecting with a therapist really helped him get back on track and it’s something he recommends everyone do, even you don’t think you need it.
Another milestone for him was when he published Marketing for Developers. It gave him an asset that continues to bring in revenue and allows him to breathe a bit easier when he takes other professional risks.
Justin is currently a new SaaS for podcasters, Transistor.fm. He also publishes a weekly newsletter for independent entrepreneurs and business owners.
In this episode Justin talks about:
- How to manage and build your network and relationships
- Getting a therapist and taking care of your mental health as an entrepreneur
- Finding your strengths and knowing what you should be doing to support them
- Doing experiments and getting out of your comfort zone to help build your career or business
- Building something you know will support you and your family is a big first step for a business owner
- Face-to-face conversations and getting out of your bubble are essential for building meaningful relationships, which strengthens your network.
- Even if you don’t think you need a therapist, you should get one anyway. The best way to approach therapy is to create a rapport with a therapist before you need one.
- Find out what your strengths are and build on them. Use them to help build relationships.
- Live the life that you desire. Build your business in a way that allows you to live a life focused on the things that are most important to you. But always remember that this is an iterative process - it doesn’t all come at once.
- Try to get 1% better every day.
Marketing for Developers
For full show notes and resources, head on over here for it all.
55 episodes available. A new episode about every 15 days averaging 34 mins duration .