Episode 381: CASTMWUP: Andrea Owen and Amy E. Smith talk about Mental Health, Getting Support, and Friendship
Manage episode 289434308 series 2793284
Joining me to discuss mental health, as well as, my journey through somatic therapy is my dearest friend, Amy Smith. This isn’t an expert-on-expert episode; instead, it’s two friends talking about a topic from a place of curiosity.
Here’s some background as to why I wanted to bring you this episode: Last week, Mia Hemstad joined me on the podcast (episode 380). She vulnerably shared the story of her suicidal ideation and major depressive disorder. And, I shared a little bit about my journey too. I wanted to share more of my story, so I decided, this week, to bring you a Conversation About Shit That Matters with Unqualified People.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- My breaking point - what led me to a point of complete anxiety and terror. (7:16)
- About my FaceTime call to Amy, where I opened up about thoughts of suicide ideation. (7:31)
- How having a friend there to listen, comforted me. (17:03)
- Amy’s experience being on the other end of that phone call and how she was able to compartmentalize what was happening. (18:23)
- My somatic therapy journey and how it helped me work through trauma. (26:24)
- Some thoughts about being supportive to a friend going through a mental crisis. (49:14)