Manage episode 266395622 series 2540552
Allison Garner is a leadership coach and consultant, author, and public speaker. She is the owner of Align Coaching, a platform where professionals can use her services to mentally transform themselves into the leaders their organizations need them to be. She is the author of Think Possible, where she highlights the experiences of those who think outside the box, and Unconditional, where Allison takes the reader through her experiences with her daughter’s mental illness and eventual recovery.
Allison joins me today to discuss how she confronted her daughter’s mental illness, her struggles, and her realizations. She describes her career as a speaker and coach, and how she became an advocate for better mental health systems for children. She shares the story of how her daughter struggled in school, how it affected Allison mentally and emotionally, and the resources she used to help her daughter. Allison also explains how she coped with the idea of not seeing her daughter for months as part of her treatment.
"The critical thing is to get your arms around reality. Quit turning your back on it." - Allison Garner
Today on Mastering Midlife:
- How Allison became a staunch advocate for kids with mental illnesses.
- What Allison told her daughter about getting help and mental health.
- How Allison dealt with her daughter's suicide attempts.
- Why the current mental health system is not ideal for children.
- Allison's experience with her child's mental health professionals
- What eventually helped with her daughter's depression.
- The resources and experts Allison found that helped her daughter.
- Coping with allowing her daughter to get treated away from home.
- How her daughter's mental wellbeing affected Allison's son.
- Does Allison also blame herself for what happened to her children?
Connect with Allison Garner:
- Align Coaching
- Book: Think Possible - Think Possible: The Light and Dark Side of Never Running Out Of Ideas
- Book: Unconditional - Learning to Navigate and Reframe Mental Illness Together
Limited Time! Get FREE Access to my Leadership Resilience Course
We are all struggling with the emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual strain of the Coronavirus Outbreak of 2020. That’s why - for the months of April and May - I’m offering my Leadership Resilience Course for free!
Learn to let go of resentment, up-level your mindset, and communicate your thoughts more effectively. Learn how to address difficult conversations, develop your inner compass, and ‘right the ship’ of your intellectual and emotional self.
It’s a uniquely difficult time for many of us. Now is the perfect time for self-reflection and self-improvement, and to discover how to be your best self.
To learn more about the Leadership Resiliency Course, visit: https://www.markjsilverman.com/leadership-resiliency
Click here to get free access.
Get FREE Access to the Only 10’s Course
Are you struggling with knowing what, when, and how to focus your efforts to get things done? As a long-time sufferer of severe ADD, I understand the struggle - and that’s why I created the Only 10’s system. This system has helped me and thousands of others clear the clutter and focus their energy on getting the right things done.
The Only 10’s free online course is based on my proven system to help you focus your attention and maintain momentum around your day-to-day life.
Thanks for tuning into today’s episode of the Mastering Midlife Podcast: How to Thrive When the World Asks the Most of You with Mark Silverman. If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts and leave us a review.