Manage episode 214102770 series 1003322
If you’re an artist, it’s almost a guarantee you’ve experienced the difficulty of getting your work noticed. No matter how much you care, it seems too many other people just don’t. Being ignored that way is always frustrating, but it’s worse when it’s in your hometown, and even more so when you’ve worked to promote the work of other artists around you and even get them work.
That’s been the experience of Matt Alden Dykes. He’s an outstanding actor and improvisor, with decades on the job, and he’s also an executive producer, writer, and actor on the sketch comedy show Caution: May Contain Nuts. And if that weren’t enough, he’s worked on the TV shows Tiny Plastic Men and Delmer & Marta, and is a long-time member of Edmonton’s Rapid Fire Theatre, the live improvised soap opera Die-Nasty, and the comedy troupe Blacklisted.
On May 1, 2018, we met at Simply Done Café in Edmonton’s Gallery District and discussed:
- How difficult it’s been to get local artists and journalists to support his TV productions despite appearances from Canadian comedy legends
- Repeatedly dealing with the condescending question, “So when are you moving to Toronto or Vancouver?”
- Trying to get people to watch TV when new media including Netflix is changing how, when, why, and what people watch
- The future of Caution: May Contain Nuts, and
- How he’s bringing Star Wars to Edmonton
Cautiontv.com – Matt Alden
179 episodes available. A new episode about every 9 days averaging 30 mins duration .