Join Larry Mantle weekdays for lively and in-depth discussions of Los Angeles and Southern California news, politics, science, entertainment, the arts and more. More AirTalk at www.kpcc.org.
Manage episode 270367150 series 1770889
By mugglecast, Andrew Sims, Laura Tee, and Pamela Gocobachi. Discovered by Player FM and our community — copyright is owned by the publisher, not Player FM, and audio is streamed directly from their servers. Hit the Subscribe button to track updates in Player FM, or paste the feed URL into other podcast apps.
Buckle up everyone - we play Taboo Word of the Week again, and this time we slip up... a lot. 💀
- Pew Research has the latest data on dealbreakers and deal closers in potential relationships. Surprise surprise, if you voted for Trrrruuuu - Agent Orange, your pool will be more limited.
- We take a moment to acknowledge yet another example of police brutality: Jacob Blake is in intensive care following a police shooting in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
- Orange Julius isn't having the start to his convention week that he'd probably hoped for: Steve Bannon was arrested for defrauding scared white people, Kellyanne Conway announced her departure from the White House, 89 former defense officials penned an op-ed speaking out against Tr*mp, and the New York Attorney General and Manhattan District Attorney are expanding their investigations of the Tr*mp Foundation and Organization.
- As we wait for the RNC shitshow to unfold, we look back at the highlights of last week's DNC: strong showings from Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, complete sentences, inclusivity, THE OBAMAS.
- QAnon is the (more) unhinged, scarier version of the Tea Party. How have this fringe group managed to hijack #savethechildren and get candidates on the ballot?
- Will we ever blow out candles on a birthday cake again? NYT presents a list of "fun" things that won't be the same after the 'rona.
- We don't endorse going on vacation during a pandemic, but if you do, there are three states to avoid in particular, which are experiencing the highest infection rates per capita: Texas, Georgia, and Florida.
- Some TikTokers got their power and water shut off at their Hollywood Hills mansion for continuing to party during the pandemic. Ain't nothin' gonna break-a my stride
Nobody gonna slow me down, oh no
- The #FreeBritney movement is deeper than you think: Britney Spears has had very limited control over her life since her very public 2008 breakdown, and some fans believe she's been sending secret cries for help.
- This week's recommendations are all pretty responsible, unlike this episode's drinking game: Britney Spears' Glory (Andrew), What did Hubble see on your birthday? (Laura), and keep wearing your sunscreen (Pam).
- This week's episode is sponsored by Rothy's (https://www.rothys.com/mill), (https://www.magicspoon.com/MILL to get a variety pack and enter promo code MILL at checkout to get FREE shipping), and Stamps.com (https://www.stamps.com and enter promo code MILL for a 4-week trial PLUS free postage AND a digital scale). Support #Millennial by supporting our sponsors!
And in this week's installment of After Dark, available on Patreon:
- While this isn't a good time for anyone's overall savings, we've found there are select goods and services we're spending less money on. What are they?
- Patrons sound off too, and Laura tries to make it into a guessing game, but it falls apart because she lost (or won, depending on how you look at it) Taboo Word of the Week.
- Pam and Laura start espousing their love for Brad Mondo and comparing at-home beauty rituals, and Andrew is already dreading editing this episode.
- What relationship-impacting disagreements have we had with friends and family who aren't taking the pandemic seriously?