Matt and Matt. Bond over Bond. Matt Gourley and Matt Mira love James Bond so much they decided to make a podcast about it. Each episode they invite a guest to dive deep into one movie from the greatest film franchise known to man. Looking for the archives? All episodes older than 6 months can be found exclusively on Stitcher Premium, ad-free. Go to stitcher.com/premium and use promo code BONDING for 1 month free (and $5 off the annual plan!).
4: Student Loan Forgiveness A Bad Thing?, How Our Relationship to Politics Has Changed, Netflix's Bad Recs
Manage episode 283927633 series 1770889
By mugglecast, Andrew Sims, Laura Tee, and Pamela Gocobachi. Discovered by Player FM and our community — copyright is owned by the publisher, not Player FM, and audio is streamed directly from their servers. Hit the Subscribe button to track updates in Player FM, or paste the feed URL into other podcast apps.
We're back-to-back with Micah appearances on #Millennial - he had more to say, so we're here to listen!
- Kicking off Black History Month right, Stacey Abrams has been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize!
- Who thought we'd ever regret not investing in GameStop?
- Professor Micah oversees our bastardized explanation of what happened with the stock market last week, and we share our thoughts on responsible investment.
- Micah sticks to trading on the stalk market in Animal Crossing, and Laura bet a few dollars on Dogecoin.
- We unpack an unpopular student loan forgiveness opinion from the Confessional, and a multifaceted conversation ensues about how complicated this issue is.
- Are federal student loans representative of predatory lending by the government?
- How has our relationship with politics changed over the last few years? We're more critical, more locally focused, and setting more boundaries with our consumption of cable news.
- Netflix is bringing a "shuffle play" feature to life in early 2021, which will allow streamers to opt into a shuffle cycle of content that Netflix deems relevant to us based on our watch history.
- Even though the shuffle option will allow you to skip items you're not feeling, how much confidence do we have in Netflix's recommendations algorithm?
- Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett have recorded a new album, but will also be featured in a documentary about Bennett's struggle with Alzheimer's.
- Our recommendations are all over the place this week: Pick up your dog's shit (Andrew), 'Anything for Selena' (Pam), Laura and Marc's WandaVision Q&A (Laura), and 'The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel' (Micah).
- This week's episode is sponsored by LoveBook (https://www.lovebookonline.com/mill for 20% off), ThirdLove (https://www.thirdlove.com/MILLENNIAL for 20% off), and Rothy's (https://www.rothys.com/mill). Support #Millennial by supporting our sponsors!
And in this week's installment of After Dark, available on Patreon:
- What is making New Year's resolutions feel so difficult this year?
- We revisit 2020's resolutions, and how they went off the rails.
- Is being a professional pothead a bad thing? Laura's certainly drinking less booze.
- Micah provides some great tips to stay motivated and hold ourselves accountable.
- Somehow we go on a tangent about Oat Milk. NO IDEA WHY!