Join Larry Mantle weekdays for lively and in-depth discussions of Los Angeles and Southern California news, politics, science, entertainment, the arts and more. More AirTalk at www.kpcc.org.
Manage episode 286975923 series 1770889
By mugglecast, Andrew Sims, Laura Tee, and Pamela Gocobachi. Discovered by Player FM and our community — copyright is owned by the publisher, not Player FM, and audio is streamed directly from their servers. Hit the Subscribe button to track updates in Player FM, or paste the feed URL into other podcast apps.
We recorded this latest installment on International Women's Day, and we kick off the show with a reminder of the importance of intersectional feminism.
- #Millennial has new artwork, courtesy of Emily Kardamis! What's that thing on the table??
- We're (finally) going to be seeing an additional round of stimulus checks, but fewer people will receive them this time.
- Special thanks to listener Michelle for providing resources about the increase in hate crimes towards AAPI (Asian American Pacific Islander) Americans.
- Advocacy group Stop AAPI Hate has documented 2,800 cases of anti-Asian hate instances over the course of the pandemic. Read their press release here.
- Why is there such a gap between the FBI's reporting and the amount of hate-based discrimination experienced?
- Our WandaVision review is spoiler-free, but Laura recommends re-watching Doctor Strange if you're feeling confused.
- Tfw when you sit down for the new Tom & Jerry movie on HBO Max, but get part 1 of Zack Snyder's 'Justice League' instead. Oops.
- We react to Harry and Meghan's bombshell interview with Oprah, but we're not shocked that institutions of royalty are racist af.
- Who's really running the show, and shouldn't the buck stop with the Queen?
- BAE supporter Kayla joins us to raise the issue of internet accessibility for rural populations in the United States.
- Since internet is classified as a utility, shouldn't we treat it like one?
- Laura tries to find common threads to connect recommendations, but who are we kidding? We're all over the place this week: Buy AppleCare (Andrew), Lipslut.com (Laura),‘Billie Eilish: The World’s A Little Blurry’ on Apple TV+ (Pam), and magsafe PopSocket adaptors for your new Magsafe compatible iPhones (Kayla).
- This week's episode is sponsored by Stamps.com (https://www.stamps.com and enter promo code MILL for a 4-week FREE trial plus free postage and a digital scale). Support #Millennial by supporting our sponsors!
And in this week's installment of After Dark, available on Patreon:
- We've got more group interview questions! Do we think the internet has been more positive or negative for humanity?
- "What is your favorite smell?" elicits some.... debatable answers (gasoline, cigarette smoke?).
- What is that warm, homey smell we notice on people sometimes? Would we ever say anything?
- We reminisce about the adventure time we had as kids exploring our worlds.