Manage episode 220973838 series 1409393
In this episode we put on our energy geek hats to focus on demand response, and explore how utilities are implementing demand response programs across the US. My guest is Brenda Chew, an analyst at SEPA – the Smart Electric Power Alliance, and lead author of SEPA’s 2018 Utility Demand Response Market Snapshot report which serves as the basis for our conversation.
We begin by discussing how SEPA defines demand response and what it covers for purposes of the report. We look at some big-picture numbers, then go sector by sector, looking at different types of demand response programs and some specific utility case studies. For me, the really intriguing aspect of demand response is how it relates to the broader transition to a smarter, cleaner and more renewable electric grid. And in that vein we discuss some of the customer behavior aspects of demand response, and explore its applications to the energy storage and electric vehicles sectors. We close by looking ahead at how the demand response ecosystem may continue to evolve in the years ahead.
Show references include:
- SEPA's 2018 Utility Demand Response Market Snapshot
- Stem wins big with 85MW of energy storage in SCE procurement (Greentech Media, Nov. 5, 2014)
- Maui Electric's EV charging time of use rates information page
- SDG&E 'Power Your Drive" EV charging time of use information page
- Arizona utility will use 'reverse demand response' to avoid renewables curtailment, (Utility Dive, Sept. 27, 2017)
Recorded October 9, 2018. Published November 12, 2018.
Sign up for email news and updates from More Power To You.