Manage episode 235487332 series 2420226
Pilates is a great and increasingly popular way to build functional strength. But with all the different styles and methods, it’s hard to know just what a great pilates workout looks like, not to mention how to do it safely and effectively. That’s why I’ve brought my good friend and pilates queen, Holly Jean Cosner on the show to clear it all up.
Holly has been a Pilates instructor for over 20 years. That’s not all though, as she’s also well trained in yoga and barre. Currently based in Los Angeles, Holly teaches pilates in private and groups sessions in addition to running teacher training. Always curious to find ways to better connect with her clients, Holly continues to learn and refine her practice so that everyone can benefit from her expertise.
With pilates growing in popularity around the country, Holly breaks down how to use its techniques to best suit your particular needs. She then explains how to take pilates and transition it to the functional world so that it can help you throughout your day. As she explains, much of this can’t be done without breathing right or using the equipment without the right guidance.
Are pilates part of your strength building regimen? Let me know how it’s going in the comments on the episode page!
In this episode
- Why it’s best to start your Pilates workout on the mat before moving to the machines
- Common mistakes people make when they’re new to pilates
- A breakdown of the various different styles of pilates and how they can be combined
- The role of breathing correctly in conjunction with a pilates workout
- How what you learn in yoga and pilates training can carry over into your functional everyday life
- How C-sections and childbirth affect your core and techniques to rebuild strength afterward
- Working with clients who are obsessed with being “the best”
“I don’t want to waste anybody’s time. If you’re showing up for a session, I want you to feel what you’re looking to feel and make the change happen. If I don’t get the sensation that someone's understanding what I’m saying, I gotta find another way to say it. It’s on me not them.” [1:35]
“We have to get people to embrace the idea that they have to feel something. You’re not just here for your butt to look better or to look cuter in your dress tomorrow. You’re here for a bigger purpose.” [22:23]
“If you breathe, you can do it. It’s all about balancing out your breathe with your abdominal pressure and then everything gets light.” [24:50]
55 episodes available. A new episode about every 0 hours averaging 45 mins duration .