Archive this series
For this week’s episode, I sat down with Scott Winship, the Director of Grantmaking at New Music USA to talk about the organization’s Project Grants, and answer a few listener questions. It was a great conversation with a lot of really great tips for making your application the best it can be.
Some of the things we talked about were:
- The American Music Center & Meet the Composer merger, which created New Music USA
- How the NMUSA are a reaction to the ways that artists make their art today
- The grant application process
- The panel process
- The general breakdown of the awards
- Effective work samples
- Making use of collaborator profiles
- Narratives & project descriptions
- Giving yourself time to put together a compelling application
- Getting feedback
- Question: When is the music “not enough”?
- Your budget
- The private description
- Question: Why does it seem like the “usual suspects” seem to get awarded every round?
- Question: Is there a weight to individual, ensemble, or organization applications?
- The new grant deadline for 2016/2017
49 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 69 mins duration .