Manage episode 212482340 series 2395851
1. Why do you the think the Bible so frequently uses images of feasts to depict the kingdom of God? What are some of the characteristics of a great feast that might be important for understanding God's kingdom?
2. Jesus focuses in this parable on who is invited to the great feast, and he challenges the expectations of his audience. If Jesus were sharing this parable today, who do you think he would make sure knew they were invited?
3. How does the master's vision for hospitality affect the servant? How does Jesus's vision for hospitality affect ours?
4. How did you first come to understand that you belonged at God's table? How does that compel you to invite others?
5. How would our dinner parties and holidays look different if we increasingly prioritized inviting those who were invited by Jesus? Are there some people who wouldn't felt like they belonged at our tables?
12 He said also to the man who had invited him, “When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, lest they also invite you in return and you be repaid. 13 But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, 14 and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. For you will be repaid at the resurrection of the just.”
15 When one of those who reclined at table with him heard these things, he said to him, “Blessed is everyone who will eat bread in the kingdom of God!” 16 But he said to him, “A man once gave a great banquet and invited many. 17 And at the time for the banquet he sent his servant to say to those who had been invited, ‘Come, for everything is now ready.’ 18 But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said to him, ‘I have bought a field, and I must go out and see it. Please have me excused.’ 19 And another said, ‘I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to examine them. Please have me excused.’ 20 And another said, ‘I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.’ 21 So the servant came and reported these things to his master. Then the master of the house became angry and said to his servant, ‘Go out quickly to the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in the poor and crippled and blind and lame.’ 22 And the servant said, ‘Sir, what you commanded has been done, and still there is room.’ 23 And the master said to the servant, ‘Go out to the highways and hedges and compel people to come in, that my house may be filled. 24 For I tell you, none of those men who were invited shall taste my banquet.’”
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
47 episodes available. A new episode about every 8 days averaging 32 mins duration .