Manage episode 228127280 series 1318634
In this episode, your nice hosts make sure you know that Treasure Stack, the game Stephen “is paid to work on,” is coming out Friday, March 1st!
Mark then gives a primer on some audio basics that will help you understand how sound works, and works in your game. Even if you’re bored by that, be sure to stick around for a discussion Stephen leads about representation in games.
[0:05:32] Audio Basics
- “MP3 ‘died’ and nobody noticed: Key patents expire on golden oldie tech” – Andrew Orlowski, The Register
- Digital Audio Basics: Sample Rate and Bit Depth
- Turns out, there is a “.2” in certain surround sound setups.
- Get free sounds on freesound.org!
- The reduction in audio dynamics in pop music is a result of the so-called Loudness War.
[0:41:57] Representation in Games
- Key & Peele – Black Republicans
- “Here’s a good argument for a black Batman” – Dan Neilan, A\V Club
- “Hopi-less: How Kachina Became Donut County” – John Walker, Rock Paper Shotgun
- “What It’s Like To Write About Race And Video Games” – Gita Jackson, Kotaku
151 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 65 mins duration .