Manage episode 326834273 series 1106535
In this episode, Vance Martin from the Slingshot Group helps reveal some details on the current state of children's and youth ministry staffing within the local church. Vance also provides some observations on how the church today can prepare young leaders to move into ministry roles in the future.
Clearstream works with thousands of churches worldwide and integrates with tools your church already uses such as MailChimp, Church Community Builder, Rock RMS, Planning Center, and more. Find out more at Clearstream.io.
Some observations on the state of ministry staffing:
- Calling has become much more fluid
- Older millennials and younger Gen Xers are walking away from ministry (1500 pastors a month)
- Finding fulfillment doing other jobs and just volunteering in the local church
- Great need, but so many dropping off
- Where are ministry leaders coming from?
- 90% of student pastors went to a church camp and felt a calling
- 90% of kid's pastors/ministers were “tapped” on the shoulder and felt a calling after helping fill a need
- and of these, the majority cannot make a nationwide move because they are not the primary bread-winner
- 90% of NextGen/Family Ministry leads were previously a Kid's or Youth Pastor
- Many churches are beginning to bump up the salaries of kid's pastors
- The local church is both the problem and the solution for the current leadership pipeline
- Huge need for developing young leaders, preparing them to leave and take on ministry roles somewhere else
- **If we aren't careful, we will become caretakers of a program instead of a cultivator of people.
- The question for ministry leaders should not be “where should I go?” but should be “who should I become?”
- Look in the mirror – where does God want you? (who?)
- Develop young leaders with an eye toward vocational ministry
- Consider Slingshot
Ministry Boost Coaching is back!
Multiply Ministry Conference – All-Access Pass
Click here to get the All-Access Pass to get access to the Multiply Ministry Conference replays of every main session and breakout. Over 30 sessions of content about empowering volunteers.
Get Exclusive Content from this Week's Episode
Use the form below to subscribe to my email list where you’ll get an email each Tuesday when a new podcast comes out. That email will also include something exclusive related to the podcast that’s not found in the post or in the episode.
Subscribe | Share | Rate | Comment
To make sure you never miss a post, hit the subscribe button in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Tune In radio. Keep your friends and co-workers up-to-date as well by sharing it with them via email or social media.
Special Sponsor: Clearstream
This episode is sponsored by Clearstream. Clearstream.io works with thousands of churches worldwide and integrates with tools your church already uses such as MailChimp, Church Community Builder, Rock RMS, Planning Center, and more. You can get started on a free-trial, and if you're with a new church plant under 1 year old can use Clearstream free for 12 months.