Time Management

26:36
 
Share
 

Manage episode 236082622 series 2502972
By Discovered by Player FM and our community — copyright is owned by the publisher, not Player FM, and audio streamed directly from their servers.

Toddler time is very slow—after all, we’re talking about little humans who’re still getting the hang of executive functions and motor skills. Consequently, parents need to slow down for their little ones so that we don’t end up transitioning from activity to activity too quickly and upset them in the process. This can be VERY difficult because as a parent, you feel compelled to move quickly and deal with a bunch of tasks ASAP. The solution? Optimize your time like an efficiency expert has taken over your life so you can handle each little task and chore at the best pace for your kid.

In this episode, Jamie explains why toddlers can’t move as quickly as we expect them to, gives you a novel way to visualize your priorities, and argues for why airplane mode on your phone is your best friend.

The Finer Details of This Episode:

  • What is the Pareto principle, and why does optimizing a mere 20% of your time help you manage the remaining 80%?
  • The priority debacle—namely not knowing how to manage our priorities, or not even being sure what they’re supposed to be!
  • What it means to lose your “white space” as parents.
  • Managing your priorities more effectively by visualizing them as big stones.
  • The ways you interact with your child are going to change over the years, and how much of your time that will involve is going to wax and wane.
  • Managing your social media use through a new method called “time chunking.”

Quotes:

“If you give 100% of yourself to your kids you have 0% left over!”

“Guys, you can’t have 30 big stones when there’s only 24 hours in the day!”

“I want you to own your priorities with pride.”

Links:

Digital Minimalism book - http://www.calnewport.com/books/digital-minimalism/

Jamie’s homepage - http://www.jamieglowacki.com/

Oh Crap! Potty Training - https://www.amazon.com/Crap-Potty-Training-Everything-Parenting-ebook/dp/B00V3L8YSU

Oh Crap! I Have A Toddler [Get my new book] -

https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/Oh-Crap!-I-Have-a-Toddler/Jamie-Glowacki/Oh-Crap-Parenting/9781982109738

17 episodes available. A new episode about every 0 hours averaging 27 mins duration .