Manage episode 191494833 series 1280701
They followed the rules. They played it smart. And yet, couples yearning to be adoptive parents say they became victims of fraud. Now they’re calling for changes to an adoption system they say is too easy to scam.
In this episode of their podcast, On Deadline, ABC27 investigators Amanda St. Hilaire, Kendra Nichols, and Dennis Owens talk to couple Beth and Rocky about their heart-wrenching experience, and to Scaringi Law adoption attorney Erin Komada about how the system works and ideas for changes that could better protect families.
The investigators also discuss a recent story about local fire departments not following their own rules about sex offenders.http://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp3/mgtvwhtm.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/111317-mixdown-1.mp3
Write a review, send us an email, or message us on Facebook to share your thoughts or suggest a topic for discussion. You can also record voice memos and email them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below are links and references from this week’s episode:
- Couple scammed by birth mother says adoption system is flawed
- Woman accused of running adoption scam on Pa. couple, three others
- Pregnant woman accused of stealing from adoptive families
- Registered sex offenders resign from fire departments after ABC27 investigation
- Is re-sentencing for ‘juvenile lifers’ justice served, or justice stolen?
75 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days .