Manage episode 241764016 series 1164795
I am joined by the creator of DVRT The Ultimate Sandbag Training System, Josh Henkin, to talk about the theory behind sandbag exercises, the different levels and 7 patterns of DVRT's training program, and how simply shifting your movement with the sandbag will change the resistance, force, and intensity.
If you're looking for a new type of exercise or want to build strong muscle, Josh gives a lot of great tips on how to do that with sandbags vs. traditional weight lifting.
Do the 7 Day Paleo Reset
DVRT The Ultimate Sandbag Training System
In the full-contact arena, athletes contend with an ever-shifting set of challenges: sudden changes in velocity, power, force, weight, and energy demand. The athlete needs to withstand powerful blows directed at any part of the body, to accelerate and decelerate at a moment's notice, to strike back with blinding power and to remain stable in a highly unstable environment. The athlete needs to be this dynamic-while simultaneously minimizing the risk of personal injury. He needs a cat's agile movement skills, a bull's rock-like strength, and a stallion's enduring power.
About Josh Henkin
Josh Henkin is a CSCS and Master RKC with twenty years of experience. His innovative Dynamic Variable Resistance Training (DVRT™) has allowed him to present in more than 13 countries and publish in top outlets like Men’s Health and the Wall Street Journal. Josh has coached people of all backgrounds, including the U.S. Army Special Forces Recruiting Battalion and U.S. Marines. You can learn more about his programs at DVRTFitness.com.
Let Us Coach You On The Podcast!
Come on the podcast and let us be your coach for an hour on the show!
We talked about this a while back but we want you, the listener, to be a guest on our show by allowing us to be your personal coaches for a 1-hour call. Your call will be featured as an actual episode on our podcast but can always keep your identity hidden by changing your name because we know that our health is everything and some things we'd like to keep to ourselves.
Here's how you sign up:
- Go to http://openskyfitness.com/contact/
- Fill out your name, email address, and message
- In your message, please include:
- Your goals
- What obstacles you believe are standing in your way
- Your expectations and how you think Devon and Rob can help you
What You'll Hear on This Episode
00:00 Open Sky Fitness Introduction
1:15 Opening comments with Rob and Devon
3:30 The official re-launch of the Sky Fit Challenge for only $47
5:50 Introduction to Josh Henkin
8:20 What you need to know about training with and the theory behind sandbag exercises before you begin.
9:40 The ancient idea that physical fitness was the completion of an individual.
12:00 The difference between something being difficult and something being productive in physical training.
13:30 The progression of trying new tactics and theories until the Ultimate Sandbag Training program was born.
20:00 Having a set goal or philosophy in your training program.
22:00 The old mindsets that metal is better than sand or anyone can just make their own sandbag.
22:40 His brand's mission to be movement educators and teach people how to move more efficiently.
25:30 What you will get out of DVRT's training.
29:40 The different levels and 7 patterns of DVRT's training program.
33:00 The poor walking habits and other areas of fitness and lifting that people have developed.
41:00 What a dead bug movement is and the benefits of it to create stability for the rest of our body.
44:00 Physical differences between humans and chimpanzees.
48:00 Rob's great experience trying Josh's sandbag exercises.
51:30 Programming with the sandbags that people can do on their own at home.
53:00 Their extensive videos out there on YouTube and IGTV to help educate people to properly do the movements.
55:00 Their Jumpstart eBook to help you get started with using sandbags.
1:00:00 How simply shifting your movement with the sandbag will change the resistance, force, and intensity.
1:05:30 Closing comments with Rob and Devon
1:06:00 Join the re-launched Sky Fit Challenge at a discounted price!
1:09:00 Open Sky Fitness Closing
RESOURCES MENTIONED DURING THE SHOW:
- Leave us an iTunes review
- Subscribe to our podcast and take your health to the next level!
- Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
- Learn more about the Sky Fit Challenge
- Clean up your diet with our 7 Day Paleo Reset
- Contact Rob and Devon to apply for One-On-One Coaching Sessions
- Learn more about our new sponsor - ButcherBox
- Check out our other latest podcast episodes:
- Connect with Josh Henkin via
- Follow DVRT Ultimate Sandbag Fitness via:
- Join the DVRT Fitness Group on Facebook
- Get the DVRT The Ultimate Sandbag Training System
- Shop DVRT's sandbag training products
- Read - Is Weight All The Same? Dumbbells vs Ultimate Sandbag Study By Josh Henkin
- Learn more about the Perform Better Summit
- Follow and connect with Jessica Bento
- Find out more about these health and wellness experts:
- Check out our future guest, Gray Cook of Functional Movement Systems
The challenge consists of:
- 8 Weeks of Equipment Free Bodyweight Workouts in 20 minutes or less. (No gym membership required)
- SIMPLE Whole Food Meal Plan w/Tasty Recipe Cookbook Featuring 60+ recipes!
- Foolproof Schedule so you know EXACTLY what you’re supposed to do every day.
- Access to our New Private Facebook Group – Sky Fit Challenge Group to share your progress with everyone as well as receive support and be held accountable.
Simply go to 7DayPaleoReset.com to sign up now
One of the best things you can do for your mind and body in your mission to get healthier is to focus on your nutrition. That's why we're allowing people to sign up now to join us for our next Free 7 Day Paleo Rest! It's all done via Facebook so no annoying emails that will fill up your inbox.
As part of the 7 Day Paleo Reset, we will provide you with:
- Introduction to what the Paleo Diet is all about
- 7 Day guide to easy Paleo recipes
- What batch cooking is and how to incorporate that into your lifestyle
- Various content resources including generational eating habits, the importance of building a wellness community, and how to begin a new healthy lifestyle.
- How to make an impact on your life and life a life full of wellness.
Look Out For Our Upcoming Throw Back Thursday Podcast Episodes!
We'll be releasing new podcasts episodes on Thursdays that discuss previous episodes we've done, but we need your help! Go to the Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and tell us what your favorite episodes are. Then, Devon and I will re-listen to that episode, pick out the best parts and share even more insights on the topic.
We won't just be regurgitating the same information over again. Since we began this podcast, there's so much more information out their on health, nutrition, fitness, and personal wellness. So, each Thursday we'll really just be going deeper into your favorite topics!Claim Your FREE Bacon + $10 Off With Our Sponsor - ButcherBox
That's right! By listening to the Open Sky Fitness Podcast, you get the chance to get a free order of bacon plus $10 off your first ButcherBox purchase!!
ButcherBox delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door. Think of them as the neighborhood butcher for modern America.Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group!
That's right! We have a closed Open Sky Fitness Podcast group on Facebook where you and everyone have the opportunity to talk about your health and fitness goals in a safe environment. We post workouts and start discussions about how to be strategic about finding a healthier you. Check it out!Start Building Your Own Workouts and Meal Plan!
Click To Download Home Workout Templates or text the word, "lifting," to 33444 to download the templates.
We love answering questions and getting feedback from you, our listener! If you have any questions to ask us, want to share a review of the show, or tell us any suggestions for guests/topics that you think would be great to have on the show, just email Rob at firstname.lastname@example.org or Devon at email@example.com or you can also leave us a review at http://reviewourpodcast.com ask a question in the closed Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and even text OSFreview to 33444 to get the linkGet Fit with Free Downloads!
Ask Rob a Question or tell him what is working for you: Email Rob@OpenSkyFitness.comSupport This Podcast
To leave a Review for Rob and the Open Sky Fitness Podcast CLICK NOW! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
Contact our amazing sound engineer Ryan? Send him an e-mail here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for Listening! Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Do you have any questions (and would like to hear yourself on the Open Sky Fitness Podcast)? Click on the link on the right side of any page on our website that says “Send Voicemail.”
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Thanks for listening/reading episode 262- Ultimate Sandbag Training with Josh Henkin! We hope you have gained more knowledge on how to be a healthier you.