Operation Self Reset Created to Help you Become Better | Self Help 101 | Confidence | Self Esteem | Motivation | Inspiration | Goal Setting| Motivational quotes
Fight Iphone Addiction, Shockingly
Manage episode 195552777 series 117483
Fight phone addiction, shockingly
In today’s world, there are many distractions (smoking, drugs, phones, etc), all of them harmful in different ways. Kids today are pulled from school and other activities and spend as much as 9 to 12 hours a day on their phones or tablets. Triggered by reading the book “Messy: The Power of Disorder to Transform Our Lives”, Jake’s interest in the topic of phone addiction grew as his irritation grew with the parents who can not control their kids and cave in at their desire to stare at a screen for the better half of the day.
Here’s what’s been covered in a nutshell:
Jake is sharing with us three major takeaways from the book mentioned above. As a firefighter by day, he lives in an interesting type of organized chaos and his mind and surroundings are rather creative, not organized. These are the reasons why this book picked up his interest, as he was trying to validate the idea that disorder is not completely wrong.
Benjamin Franklin was a disorganized person, working on multiple projects at a time, ignoring the now common advice to focus on one thing at a time. He was too busy inventing bifocals, catching lightning, publishing newspapers and signing the declaration of independence to ever tidy up his own life. If he took the time to tidy up his lab, his mind maybe he did not had the time to do the other things. From the sounds of it, Franklin might have suffered from ADD, but back then, no one wanted to put him on chemicals or put him in a rehab: he was fine as he was. Being a bit loose on his organizational skills allowed him to have the freedom to work on so many different projects.
In the world of so many productivity tools, of trying to maximize every minute of every day, just know it’s ok to have that lose approach.
- Change it up: when you begin to change something in your routine, in your lifestyle, it is shocking at first, it is stretching you a little bit (going to bed earlier or waking up earlier, etc). This stage is crucial in your growth: you can not be stagnant if you wish to grow. If you wish to grow, you can not surround yourself with your old buddies: they will not push you towards growth and the accountability will not be as intense as if you had other types of people around you. You should be striving for a new level of normal.
- Focus on truth vs. the feeling of comfort: truth comes from facts, facts are real life. If you want to develop yourself, you need to find the truth in things: not the things that associate well with you, not the things you like or enjoy, but the truth. If you need to lose weight, the truth is you need to take in a little bit less calories, and exercise a little bit more. There are a lot of truths in the health industry and in the finance industry, and in business and all over the place. The way for you to continue to grow yourself is for you to find the truths that apply to the area where you need to improve. Do not look to be comfortable, but to be in the truth.
- Don’t let other people dictate the way you live your life. “Some people will always think they have a better sense of what’s good for you than you do”. Everybody else has their own opinion about what we do and are. But do not let other people live your life for you. Other people should not dictate the way you show up in the world. If you want to rock the socks of an introvert, so be it. If you are the female who feels she is a home-maker, then don’t let other people tell you there’s no value in that and you need to go out and start a business.
- https://www.healthiq.com/reset – lower health insurance rates for the health-conscious
- Messy: The Power of Disorder to Transform Our Lives by Tim Harford – https://amzn.to/2QfyRHX
- The ONE Thing : The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results by Garry Keller and Jay Papasan – https://amzn.to/2dQLbhz
Before You Go
Head over to www.operationselfreset.com and sign up for the Toolbox of free gifts that will help motivate and inspire you!
Subscribe to Jake’s podcast for more inspiration!
Sign up for his emails full of tips to change your life!
256 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 37 mins duration .