Manage episode 206434824 series 129800
Today on the show, we welcome Sophie Van Tiggelen. Sophie is an autoimmune warrior, foodie, recipe developer, and the creator of the popular food blog Squirrel in the Kitchen and the author of The Autoimmune Protocol Made Simple. In 2009, after a month of dealing with anxiety, severe insomnia, trips to the emergency room, and many doctors and multiple lab tests. Sophie was finally diagnosed with Hashimoto’s, an autoimmune disease attacking the thyroid. In this episode, Sophie shares more about her journey with Hashimoto’s and how she managed to go into remission through the AIP diet. Sophie is a positive, helpful force in the Paleo and AIP communities, and she is helping many, many people sort through the extremely complicated issues of gut health and autoimmune problems so they can be their best, healthiest selves. We discuss the can-eat foods and the can’t-eat foods on the AIP diet and why this diet is beneficial for anyone wanting to reboot their system and lower inflammation.
CLICK HERE for the full transcript.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Sophie shares her journey with Hashimoto’s, from diagnosis to management.
- Find out why Sophie started sharing her autoimmune story via her blog.
- Learn more about the various scales of severity for autoimmune diseases.
- In addition to diet, find out what other health treatments Sophie uses today.
- Can Hashimoto’s be prevented, and if diagnosed, can it be reversed?
- Learn about the health-promoting foods generally advised for an AIP diet.
- Learn more about the high-inflammation foods that are not allowed on an AIP diet.
- How long will it take to see health improvements when on a strict AIP diet?
- Discover when it is necessary to work with a functional medicine practitioner.
- Sophie’s tips for finding the right doctor to work with you on your autoimmune disease.
- Hear more about the supplements Sophie is taking to assist her health.
- Find out whether the AIP diet is safe and beneficial for anyone to try.
- Sophie shares some of her favorite AIP recipes and go-to dinner party snacks.
- And much more!
“I wanted to spread the message and tell people how you can feel better by changing the food you eat.” — @SquirrelKitchen [0:04:50.1]
“Once you have turned on the switch of autoimmune disease, you can’t turn it off.” — @SquirrelKitchen [0:07:39.1]
“Don’t see the autoimmune protocol as a diet. See it as a new lifestyle, as the right way to eat.” — @SquirrelKitchen [0:09:29.1]
“It’s the best you can find. It’s the best you can feed your body with.” — @SquirrelKitchen [0:21:32.1]
Links Mentioned in This Episode:
The Autoimmune Protocol Made Simple – https://www.amazon.com/Autoimmune-Protocol-Made-Simple-Cookbook/dp/1592338178
Squirrel in the Kitchen – http://asquirrelinthekitchen.com/
Sophie Van Tiggelen on Twitter – https://twitter.com/SquirrelKitchen
Sophie Van Tiggelen on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/squirrel_kitchen/
Sarah Ballantyne – https://www.thepaleomom.com/
Mickey Trescot & Angie Alt – https://autoimmunewellness.com/
Eileen Laird – http://www.phoenixhelix.com/
Sarah Ballantyne’s The Paleo Approach – https://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Approach-Reverse-Autoimmune-Disease/dp/1936608391
AIP Coach Certification – https://autoimmunewellness.com/introducing-aip-certified-coach/
SHARE YOUR LOVE FOR PMR AND YOU CAN ENTER TO WIN SOME GREAT PALEO SWAG!
It's easy, simply post a review of PMR on iTunes and fill out our quick Registration Form and you'll be entered to win your choice of 4 great books and a Paleo Magazine vinyl decal! One winner will be randomly chosen each week.
332 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 50 mins duration .