Manage episode 226691820 series 129800
This episode is a relatively quick one and has no guests, but we promise it is still filled with useful information packaged in a small, digestible format. The topic of today’s show is Erin Skinner’s recent article, "Does Recent TMAO Research Suggest That the Paleo Diet Causes Heart Disease?" Erin is a longtime contributor to Paleo Magazine; she’s a registered dietician and author with a passion for helping people revolutionize their health.
Key Points From This Episode:
- The link between Paleo and TMAO (trimethylamine N-oxide).
- What TMAO is and how TMAO levels are determined.
- Two primary reasons why TMAO and animal proteins are not a concern.
- TMAO’s U-shaped association with mortality.
- The poor correlation between TMAO and heart disease.
- The effects of TMAO in fish—should you be concerned?
- The best way to implement a Paleo diet.
- Why feeding the microbiome is critical to health.
- Getting enough fiber on a low-carbohydrate diet.
- And so much more!
“Correlation, we must always remember, does not equal causation.” — @paleomagazine [0:09:30.1]
“It’s not the beef in the burger that’s the problem. The problem is the white bun, the fries cooked in hydrogenated oils, and the sugar-sweetened soda likely to come with the beef.” — @paleomagazine [0:14:34.1]
Links Mentioned in This Episode:
Paleo Magazine — paleomagazine.com
Episode 249 — http://paleomagazine.libsyn.com/pmr-249-can-we-fix-meat
Chris Kresser — https://chriskresser.com/
Dr. Joel Kahn — https://drjoelkahn.com/
Dr. Angela Genoni — https://twitter.com/angelagenoni
SHARE YOUR LOVE FOR PMR AND YOU CAN ENTER TO WIN SOME GREAT PALEO SWAG!
It's easy, simply post a review of PMR on iTunes and fill out our quick Registration Form and you'll be entered to win your choice of 4 great books and a Paleo Magazine vinyl decal! One winner will be randomly chosen each week.