Manage episode 292103706 series 2364808
If we want to address and overcome all of the “isms” in our world, we have to start with the “ism” we have against our children. We can never help our kids understand the danger of racism, ableism, and sexism if we overlook ageism and the effects it has on them.
This can feel extremely overwhelming. Oftentimes we don’t even know the prejudices we have in our own hearts against children. So where do we start in dismantling it in society?
One of my favorite resources for revealing the blind spots we have when it comes to anti-child sentiments in our country is today’s guest, Robin Einzig. Robin works with Visible Child, a child development consulting firm that supports parents, schools, and organizations in achieving their goals and promoting optimal development and an atmosphere of collaboration and respect.
You all know that here at Parenting Forward one of our highest values is giving our children autonomy. Robin aligns perfectly with this value. Tune in to hear our incredible conversation.
- A new perspective on venting about the hardships of parenthood.
- Why it’s important to remember that young kids have nowhere to vent.
- Why parents need to be careful about complaining about their kids online.
- How we make parenting harder than it needs to be.
- Parenting is hard work but that doesn’t mean it’s bad.
- What cultural fetishism is and how to avoid it as a parent.
- Why we should trust our kids to choose their friends.
- How to move closer to a semblance of power equality with our children.
- How to break the toxic cycle of religious control.
- Why reclaiming your own agency will help your kids.
Links (affiliates included):
Robin Einzig Visible Child - https://www.facebook.com/visiblechildinc
Visible Child: Respectful/Mindful Parenting - https://www.facebook.com/groups/294015847465652
Visible Child: Tweens & Teens - https://www.facebook.com/groups/826189307440925
Robin’s Website: https://visiblechild.com
Parenting Forward Conference Sessions - https://www.parentingforwardconference.com/2020-sessions
Join us at the Parenting Forward Patreon Team - https://www.patreon.com/cindywangbrandt
Parenting Forward, the Book - https://amzn.to/3g0LJPn1
PREORDER You Are Revolutionary - https://www.beamingbooks.com/store/product/9781506478302/You-Are-Revolutionary
If you like this podcast and are thinking of creating your own, consider talking to my producer, Danny Ozment.
He helps thought leaders, influencers, executives, HR professionals, recruiters, lawyers, realtors, bloggers, coaches, and authors create, launch, and produce podcasts that grow their business and impact the world.
Find out more at https://emeraldcitypro.com