Ep. 4: FranklinCovey Chief People Officer Todd Davis discusses what questions leaders should be asking people to get the best from their team.
Manage episode 200698151 series 2083476
****DISCLAIMER**** The views and comments made by host and guest do not represent the views nor are they in association with the United States military.****
Todd Davis is the author of Get Better: 15 Proven Practices to Build Effective Relationships at Work. He has over 30 years’ experience in human resources and is currently the Chief People Officer for FranklinCovey. He is also a co-author of Talent Unleashed: 3 Leadership Conversations to Ignite the Unlimited Potential in People. Todd has a passion for developing others and helping people to succeed at things they didn't think they could achieve.
In this podcast he talks about the common relationship pitfalls and gives tips that will help people at any stage of their career, in any industry. He explains 4 of the 15 practices from his book, looks at the importance of listening and talks about what questions leaders should be asking people to get the best from them.
- Todd talks about his career and experience in building relationships (02:30)
- How Todd got a passion for helping people with relationships (03:10)
- What Todd's mentors and leaders have given him (06:29)
- The problem with trying to fix other people and the importance of working on yourself (08:50)
- Todd explains practice 1 from his book – wear glasses that work (12:17)
- Practice 2 – carry your own weather (15:15)
- The importance of humility and how it is a strength (16:53)
- Todd talks about failure and the importance of leaning from it (17:57)
- What Todd looks for in leaders and the importance of credibility (21:24)
- Has social media changed Todd's approach? (24:02)
- When using email can be an advantage (25:51)
- The importance of listening and taking the time to understand (27:05)
- Working with people who find communication difficult (31:08)
- Why some people think it isn't important to focus on relationships (34:11)
- The biggest mistakes people make when trying to build relationships (35:28)
- How leaders can get the best from people (37:42)
- What makes FrnaklinCovey different (41:42)
- What Todd would put on a billboard (43:32)
1. Gallup strength finder: https://www.gallupstrengthscenter.com/
BIO: TODD DAVIS LINK
- “Wear Glasses That Work” – understand the quality of relationships and how to evaluate them
- “Carry Your Own Weather” – look inward instead of outward, determining your own attitude based on what you value, no matter what storm happens to break overhead
- “Behave Your Way to Credibility” – take the long-term approach to earning credibility
- “See the Tree Not Just the Seedling” – recognize potential in others and help them to succeed
- “Think We, Not Me” – come together and leverage the strengths of all
- “Avoid the Pinball Machine” – differentiate between urgency and importance to increase productivity and avoid unnecessary chaos
- “Humility" – understand the benefits of humility and how to cultivate it to increase energy for others and build solid character and meaningful connections
8 episodes available. A new episode about every 12 days averaging 27 mins duration .