Manage episode 212845394 series 2327587
Hello everyone! Wanted to do an update on the Food Lies film: we’re shooting at low carb USA in San Diego in a couple weeks with Ivor and a couple other doctors, including the preeminent researcher in this field (along with Dr. Steve Phinney) Dr. Jeff Volek who’s studies are actually mentioned a few times in this episode. Really excited about this shoot and our next one at conference in Ohio next month.
Also really excited that we’re 34% funded on Indiegogo - there’s been a huge surge recently so I want to thank everyone who’s been contributing. I want to say the film is happening no matter what. I’ll pay for it myself if I have to. So please support it - there’s a link in the show notes.
This is really important to me. I’m not some rich guy like pete Evans who made The magic Pill. I’m a guy living on some money i saved up so that I could take time off to make this film, just trying to scrape by. My friends think I’m crazy. So tell a friend about it if you can’t contribute yourself or already have. Thanks so much.
Now on to this episode. Ivor Cummins is a sharp Irish gent. He’s a chemical engineer by trade and his specialty is leading teams in complex problem solving scenarios. This background helped him to really dive deep into cholesterol while also being unencumbered by the outdated mainstream views of the substance. He’s gone over 3,000 studies on cholesterol and made some amazing realizations. He now travels around the world speaking on this to help doctors and laypeople understand the new data and updated science.
I did link to some of the graphs he will mention - they’re pretty compelling - here's the link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kES6-ueXSghNuae5Qzh-QzbGwLThwdRs67eF9Qlle-0/edit?usp=sharing
- Got back from FOOD FOR THOUGHT: THE SCIENCE AND POLITICS OF NUTRITION http://institute.swissre.com/events/food_for_thought_bmj.html
- Most people have a surface level understanding of cholesterol that is highly misinformed
- Top experts have moved on from LDL being bad
- How your cholesterol ratios work and why they’re a better indicator. It always comes back to insulin.
- There’s more factors beyond insulin in all these chronic diseases
- Cholesterol is a vital necessity to every cell in your body. It has gotten maligned just because it’s found at the scene of the crime.
- How did we start believing cholesterol was bad?
- 1950s explosion of heart disease
- Ancel keys and the McGovern report
- Let’s spread the word that saturated fat is bad without a real study - what’s the worst that could happen?
- If you’re telling us we can’t eat stuff we’ve been eating for millions of years you better have some compelling data showing us why. Oh wait, you don’t?
- Women’s Health Initiative was a study for 8 years and cost a billion dollars and didn’t prove anything
- MR FIT study didn’t show anything https://books.google.com/books?id=lDdRDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT535&lpg=PT535&dq=mrfit+study+cholesterol+ivor&source=bl&ots=LmyfxwCOnz&sig=s7jvDK8UBhXu-IBKxKeHhfFXqz4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwig3Z6bmqTcAhVKslQKHepOBGYQ6AEIcjAF#v=onepage&q=mrfit%20study%20cholesterol%20ivor&f=false
- Site where all studies are published regardless of the outcomes http://alltrials.net
- Unpublished trials and bad reporting: http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-teicholz-saturated-fat-wont-kill-you-20170723-story.html#
- Research community gave the green light to big food manufacturers to use a bunch of super cheap vegetable oils, sugar,and carbs to make all these terrible low fat products
- Cheap ingredients with huge profit margins that harm people’s health
- It goes against all the big companies interest to reverse the mistakes that have been made
- Sweden one of the first to accept low carb https://healthimpactnews.com/2013/sweden-becomes-first-western-nation-to-reject-low-fat-diet-dogma-in-favor-of-low-carb-high-fat-nutrition/
- The great Cholesterol Conundrum video https://youtu.be/fuj6nxCDBZ0
- Images of some of the graphs from the presentation https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kES6-ueXSghNuae5Qzh-QzbGwLThwdRs67eF9Qlle-0/edit?usp=sharing
- Ivor breaks down some of Dr. Jeff Volek’s studies
- He’s gone over about 3,000 studies in the past 6 years and a good one is the Helsinki Policeman’s study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9714089
- Dr. David Unwin in the UK https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/2015/08/dr-david-unwin-publishes-more-evidence-of-low-carb-diet-benefits-in-the-bmj/
- What’s up with LDL cholesterol?
- Dave Feldmen’s Cholesterol Code http://cholesterolcode.com and his discoveries almost by himself
- How do people actually get clogged arteries?
- Refined carbs and sugar are the real problem. Or the combo of that with fats. It’s not saturated fat
- ApoE4 genotype and avoiding insulin resistance
- The earliest ancestral gene
- Human instincts for certain foods and modern sugar consumption
- The CAC score test to measure your actual risk for a cardiac event
- Mayo Clinic conspiracy
- Irish Heart Disease Awareness http://www.ihda.ie
- The Widowmaker movie http://www.thefatemperor.com/blog/2017/1/28/the-widowmaker-full-movie-now-available-to-all-via-fat-emperor-
- The awesome book Eat Rich, Live Long https://www.amazon.com/Eat-Rich-Live-Long-Mastering/dp/1628602732/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531463015&sr=8-1&keywords=eat+rich+live+long+book
- We talk about the Food Lies film!
Preorder the film here: http://indiegogo.com/projects/food-lies-post Film site: http://FoodLies.org Podcast site: http://peak-human.com Youtube: http://youtube.com/c/foodlies Follow along: http://twitter.com/FoodLiesOrg http://instagram.com/food.lies http://facebook.com/FoodLiesOrg Theme music by https://kylewardmusic.com/
44 episodes available. A new episode about every 8 days averaging 75 mins duration .