Manage episode 361158901 series 2797941
In this week’s episode, we’re Pitchin’ and Sippin’ with writer and editor Melanie Rud on all things beauty, bylines, and mastheads. Prior to becoming a full-time freelance writer, Melanie held beauty editorial positions at magazines such as Shape, Good Housekeeping, and Health. Today she contributes to outlets such as Byrdie, People.com, RealSelf, RealSimple.com, Brides.com, Women's Health, Midwest Living.
Tune in to learn all about how to pitch for beauty, the reality of newsroom mastheads, and Melanie’s personal pitching preferences and pet peeves.
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Melanie’s background and career in the fashion and beauty industry
- How her journalism journey progressed
- Her different roles and titles and how they evolved
- How she landed coveted internships
- Melanie’s pitching preferences when being pitched in the beauty space
- How she built up her portfolio and used her contacts to establish herself as a freelance writer
- Her preferences in receiving products when writing about a product
- Pet peeves when receiving pitches
- And More!
Social media links: