Anna Jones makes Saag Aloo Shepherd's Pie
Manage episode 358768443 series 2819092
On Play Me a Recipe, your favorite cooks will walk you through their most treasured recipes, offering all the insider tips, stories, and tricks you won't get from a written recipe—and you'll be right alongside them, every step of the way.
If you're cooking along, here's the recipe we're making today. Go ahead and grab the ingredients below before starting the episode.
For the rajma masala base
- 2 tbsp ghee (or coconut oil)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2in piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 x 400g tins pinto or borlotti beans
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
For the saag aloo topping
- 2lb 4 oz small new or red skin potatoes (large ones cut in half)
- 1lb 2oz cauliflower, broken into small florets, stalk and leaves roughly chopped
- 1 ¾oz ghee (or unsalted butter)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 7oz baby spinach, washed
- To make the rajma masala base, heat the ghee or coconut oil in a large pan.
- Add the onion and cook for 10 minutes over a medium heat, or until soft and sweet.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the spices to the pan and stir for a couple of minutes until it all smells fragrant.
- Stir in the tinned beans and their liquid, the tomatoes and 14fl oz water. Simmer for 25 minutes until the tomatoes are broken and you have a thick, gravy.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Meanwhile, put the potatoes into a large pan, leaving enough space to add the cauliflower later. Cover with boiling water, add half a tablespoon of salt and bring to the boil. Cook for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost cooked, then add the cauliflower and cook for a further 6 minutes. Drain well.
- Put the empty pan back on the heat, add 1 tablespoon of ghee, then add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and turmeric. Cook for 1 minute, then add 3½fl oz water, the potatoes, cauliflower and half of the spinach.
- Stir to wilt the spinach and use the back of a spoon to crush the potatoes a little. Stir the rest of the spinach into the topping.
- Spoon the rajma masala mixture into a large baking dish. Top with the potato, cauliflower and spinach mixture. Melt the remaining ghee and drizzle over the top of the pie. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the top is brown and crunchy in places. Serve immediately.
Is there a recipe you'd like to hear us make? Tell us all about it at email@example.com!
Lobby Time Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0