Manage episode 185199817 series 1527781
Segment 1 - What is Kubernetes?
- Technology that spawned from Google’s internal “Borg” system for running application in containers.
- Open source project donated to the CNCF in 2015.
- Open source community of 1500+ engineers working on various sub-projects that make up the Kubernetes system.
Segment 2 - How does Kubernetes work?
- Kubernetes API
- Kubernetes scheduler
- Kubelet on each worker machine
Segment 3 - What’s the relationship between Kubernetes and Containers?
- Containers describe what application bits run on a machine
- Kubernetes is the framework that places containers on machines and ensures that the containers run in a well-defined manner (start/stop, highly available, load-balanced, etc.)
Segment 4 - Are there alternative technologies that work similar to Kubernetes?
- Kubernetes is ultimately a framework that schedules containers
- Mesos Marathon
- Docker Swarm
- Nomad from Hashicorp
- Lots of homegrown, DIY systems, mostly based on scripting
Segment 5 - How can a company get Kubernetes or use Kubernetes?
- Use the Open source software from the Kubernetes community
- Use commercially available distributions of Kubernetes from multiple vendors
- Consume Kubernetes-as-a-Service from multiple cloud providers
14 episodes available. A new episode about every 5 days averaging 23 mins duration .