Manage episode 199250838 series 2077222
Born in true West Virginia tradition with the highest dedication to quality and craftsmanship, Parkersburg Brewing Co. develops, promotes, and delivers full flavored and unique specialty beers to suit every occasion. They are committed to promoting small business and giving back to their communities. By providing the best taproom experience in the tri-state region, they aim to bring business minded people and decision makers alike together to make a positive impact within this great states borders and beyond.
Enjoy Parkersburg handcrafted beer brewed in the mountains of West Virginia.
- 00:31- 1:52: Jim introduces Dan Curtis and Jim Hopkins and their company, Parkesburg Brewing Company. Jim asks them to fill in any gaps he may have missed in the intro.
- 1:53-3:50: Curtis and Hopkins talk about their love for craft beer as well as a glimpse into their personal lives.
- 3:51-3:59: To Dan, as one of the founders, what’re you most excited about what you guys are doing right now?
- 4:00-4:33: “We’re really trying to grow the brand and gain brand recognition.”
- 4:34-4:39: What’s the biggest challenge you see in making that happen?”
- 4:40-5:37: Curtis talks about the struggle of gaining the working capital it takes to grow
- 5:38-6:03: Jim asks about the history of beer brewing in Parkersburg, West Virginia.
- 6:04-7:15: “Parkesburg brewing actually started in 1864.” Curtis goes on to describe the rich history Parkesburg has in beer brewing.
- 7:16-9:02: Dan, talk to us about you worst business moment as an entrepreneur.
- 9:03-10:19: Curtis talks about the sacrifices and hours it took balancing the opening of the brewery with the hours of his day job.
- 10:20-10:26: What was the one takeaway that you learned from that experience?
- 10:27-10:49: “The importance of preparation.”
- 10:50-10:59: What would you guys say is the best thing about doing business in West Virginia?
- 11:00-12:16: Both Curtis and Hopkins agree that it’s the great people in this state and the opportunity they have to represent West Virginia.
- 12:17-12:35: Dan, what would you say is your best business moment thus far as an entrepreneur?
- 12:36-14:06: “Hosting a small business tax reform roundtable at the brewery.”
- 14:07-14:34: Talk a little about the product itself.
- 14:35-17:15: “We’ve got about 14 beers. Everything from pale ales, IPAs, brown ales, to Irish reds.”
- 17:16-17:50: Do you guys offer any wheat-free or gluten free beer?
- 17:51-18:41: “Most of our beers are wheat free, actually. We’re currently developing a gluten free recipe.”
- 18:42-19:35: Jim takes a moment to recognize the sponsors of Positively West Virginia.
- 19:36-19:44: Dan, what’s one thing you want people who are listening to know about what you do?
- 19:45-20:50: “From a business perspective, I’m in charge of the brewery operations and the tap room.”
- 20:51-20:58: How about you, Jim?
- 20:59-21:55: “We’re committed to listening to our customers and our employees.”
- 21:56-22:03: Dan, from your perspective, what do you see as the long-term vision for Parkesburg Brewing Company?
- 22:04-22:44: “We have a deep desire to be a regional, craft brewery that distributes beer in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- 22:45-22:47: Jim what’s your vision for the company?
- 22:48-23:10: “We’re very sensitive about keeping our roots in West Virginia, in Parkesburg, and being a contributor to revitalizing the downtown area.”
- 23:11-23:38: Dan, what’s one piece of advice you’d give to someone thinking about starting a company?
- 23:39-25:50: “Develop a strong, really thought out business plan.” Hopkins adds, “To Dan’s point, you can never really plan enough.”
- 25:51-25:55: Dan, what’s one thing you do everyday that you think contributes to your success?
- 25:56-26:43: “Listening to our employees.:
- 26:44-26:52: Jim, what’s one resource you use that you cannot live without?
- 26:53-27:25: “Our brewing software I use to run reports.” But, he also mentions the importance of social media for their company.
- 27:26-27:30: Where can people find you guys on social media?
- 27:31-27:51: Curtis and Hopkins mention their Facebook, Instagram and Twitter presence as well as their website
- 27:52-28:00: Dan, what’s one book that you’ve read you can recommend to aspiring entrepreneurs?
- 28:01-29:13: “7 Habits of Highly Effective People, by Stephen Covey.”
- 29:14-29:29: If you could meet anyone in WV, who would it be and why?
- 29:30-30:08: Curtis mentions that he’d like the opportunity to sit down with the governor to sit down and discuss small business in West Virginia.
- 30:09-30:40: Is there anything you guys would like to add that I haven’t asked in this interview?
- 30:41-31:58: Both Curtis and Hopkins reiterate how they hope their company is actively engaged and aids in the revitalization of downtown Parkesburg.
- 31:59- End: Jim thanks Dan Curtis and Jim Hopkins for joining him on today’s episode of Positively West Virginia and for sharing their story. He closes out the show by once again thanking and recognizing our wonderful sponsors.
Pictured (from left to right): TV Host, Anthony Bourdain, and Dan Curtis, Owner
8 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 29 mins duration .