Manage episode 201167212 series 1148202
Everyone loves an unlikely success story. We are often told that anything is possible and these success stories give us all home to chase our dreams. Still, we need to make money and pay the bills. Dreams just don’t feel very lucrative. Is it possible to turn your dreams into reality?
Today’s guest embodies what it means to be an unlikely success. Cathy Heller didn’t come from much, had a little education, and no idea about how to make it in a career. It wasn’t likely that she would make it big in her career as a songwriter, but Cathy persevered. Using her creativity, Cathy figured out a way to market her skills by selling songs to Fortune 500 companies. Now, she has an incredibly profitable podcast, Don’t Keep Your Day Job, where I have been a guest.
Today, I am turning the microphone on Cathy so that she can tell us how she found her unlikely success. Her biggest lesson for everyone is that, with a little ingenuity, we can turn almost any passion into a money-making enterprise. Cathy is going to share the scrappy actions and mindset shifts it took to make it in a competitive field. Never one to be content where she is, Cathy then turned her success into more opportunities to use her gifts. Now, Cathy represents other artists who want to license their music, teaches courses about licensing, and hosts a profitable podcast.
That may sound like a lot, but Cathy’s unlikely success is about small steps in the right direction. It’s about never settling for less than she is worth, and you and I can take that advice right to the bank.
What You Will Learn in This Episode:
- Cathy shares how her finances developed over the course of her life.
- Why Cathy turned to music as her saving grace.
- Decide to see new opportunities, just like Cathy did when she needed a new way to make money songwriting.
- Cathy learned how to use her talents in an authentic way that also helped film and ads.
- Cathy did her research!
- The scrappy move that set Cathy apart from the rest.
- How Cathy knew she wasn’t done with just licensing music.
- Cathy started representing other artists using the connections she made during her time as a songwriter.
- Businesses can grow other businesses.
- Discover the amazing story behind the podcast, including the ad revenue.
- Cathy relies heavily on her teams in each of her endeavors.
- Learn all about managing employees and setting boundaries.
- We get what we allow to happen. Stand up for your standards!
- Advice to fight back against self-doubt.
- You have the ability to get paid to do what you love.
- Pave the way to success through kindness, authentic relationships, and self-worth.
- Cathy discusses her money resistance, and how she overcame self-sabotage.
Links in This Episode:
Don’t Keep Your Day Job Podcast
146 episodes available. A new episode about every 9 days averaging 42 mins duration .