Manage episode 234982025 series 1404994
Welcome to PsychEd, the psychiatry podcast for medical learners, by medical learners. This episode covers Psychiatric Rehabilitation with guest Dr. Abraham Rudnick, who is currently a Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Dalhousie.
In this episode, Aarti and Alex learn about Psychiatric Rehabilitation, also known as Psychosocial Rehabilitation (PSR), a rarely discussed or taught “4th branch” of mental health intervention. Join our residents as they discover the definition, purpose, history, process, character, and possibilities of psychiatric rehabilitation from a world expert.
The learning objectives for this episode are as follows:
By the end of this episode, the listener will be able to
- Define psychiatric rehabilitation (PSR)
- Differentiate clinical and personal recovery
- Understand how PSR supports personal recovery
- Differentiate psychiatric rehabilitation from other mental health interventions
- Identify key areas of overlap with psychotherapy
- Identify key concepts within the process of PSR: readiness assessment and development, skills, supports, environment of choice, lack of coercion, maintenance of hope
- Locate resources to further their own knowledge and skills in PSR*
As referenced in the podcast*:
Online PSR training courses: https://www.mohawkcollege.ca/ce/programs/health-and-nursing/psychosocial-rehabilitation-016
Books/Journals: 1) Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal
Guest staff psychiatrist: Dr. Abraham Rudnick, BMedSc, MD, MPsych, PhD, CPRP, FRCPC, CCPE, DFESPCH, FCPA, CSLI, CPRRP
CPA Note: The views expressed in this podcast do not necessarily reflect those of the Canadian Psychiatric Association.
For more PsychEd, follow us on Twitter (@psychedpodcast) and Facebook. You can provide feedback by email at firstname.lastname@example.org For more information visit our website: psychedpodcast.org.
18 episodes available. A new episode about every 50 days averaging 45 mins duration .